Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Re-use a displacement in an eigenfrequency analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am trying to analyse the eigenfrequency of a device after an initial stress-deformation in Comsol 4.
I have tried to use the stationary solution as a initial condition for the eigenfrequency step but the osscilation still hapens around the non deformed state.
It is possible that this is a plotting problem, the plot showing only the displacement from the first geometry and not the deformed state.
My questions are:
Is this the right way, or how would I go about doing this the right way?
How do I get a deformation into a new geometry? (in order to get a fresh start)
Is there any guide / model for Comsol 4 explaining this type of models? (e.g. the "Resonator Folded" and "Capacitive Pressure Sensor" for Comsol 3.5a)

//Martin

5 Replies Last Post 25 juin 2010, 09:27 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 juin 2010, 11:54 UTC−4
Hi

try a buckling analysis, and look how the solver is set-up, this usually prestresses the model with a static analysis, stores the solution and follows by an eigenfrequency buckling analysis.

If you look carefully at all the study steps you should understand what is going on, then basically its just to switch to "egenmode analysis" and select the first n (and not 1) solutions

have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi try a buckling analysis, and look how the solver is set-up, this usually prestresses the model with a static analysis, stores the solution and follows by an eigenfrequency buckling analysis. If you look carefully at all the study steps you should understand what is going on, then basically its just to switch to "egenmode analysis" and select the first n (and not 1) solutions have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 juin 2010, 12:42 UTC−4
Hi
thank you for the fast reply.
I assumed you meant for me to add the buckling analysis to my project and look at the generated solver sequence.
Is there any model in the model library that I can check?

Hi thank you for the fast reply. I assumed you meant for me to add the buckling analysis to my project and look at the generated solver sequence. Is there any model in the model library that I can check?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 juin 2010, 02:54 UTC−4
Hi

unfortunately I cannot propose a model, but juts make a metal cantelever beam x=0.01 y=0.1 z=1m and fix it at the lower surface (-Z) and apply some -Z load, (eventually also a torque) on the top surface, and run a standard bucling analysis as COMSOl proposes it by default in V4

Then look carefully at all the "Study tree settings

You can then change the "bucling analysis" setting to turn it into a standard eigenvalue anaysis, withthe appropriate field, and ask for solving the first 6-9 modes and not just the 1st one, this will give you a stressed eigenvalue analysis. You can then lso comapre wih or without the non-linear terms (eigenvalue analysis is always linear, butcan be linearised around a point defined by a non-linear static load case)

Hope this helps
Ivar

Hi unfortunately I cannot propose a model, but juts make a metal cantelever beam x=0.01 y=0.1 z=1m and fix it at the lower surface (-Z) and apply some -Z load, (eventually also a torque) on the top surface, and run a standard bucling analysis as COMSOl proposes it by default in V4 Then look carefully at all the "Study tree settings You can then change the "bucling analysis" setting to turn it into a standard eigenvalue anaysis, withthe appropriate field, and ask for solving the first 6-9 modes and not just the 1st one, this will give you a stressed eigenvalue analysis. You can then lso comapre wih or without the non-linear terms (eigenvalue analysis is always linear, butcan be linearised around a point defined by a non-linear static load case) Hope this helps Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 juin 2010, 09:17 UTC−4
Hi

Thank you that solved my fist question!
There really should be a tutorial or something how to work the solver sequences in V4.

Now over to my second question; Is it possible to get the deformed geometry into a new geometry?
Hi Thank you that solved my fist question! There really should be a tutorial or something how to work the solver sequences in V4. Now over to my second question; Is it possible to get the deformed geometry into a new geometry?

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 juin 2010, 09:27 UTC−4
Hi
in V3.5 you could save the mesh and reimport it, have not tried it out on V4, if its not there yet, it will certainly come

Ivar
Hi in V3.5 you could save the mesh and reimport it, have not tried it out on V4, if its not there yet, it will certainly come Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.