Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

ECAD Import

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am using COMSOL3.5a, I imported a multilayer PCB using ECAD Import model, had the following setting

1. By Layer
2. Metal Shells.

When I solve the solution, the current i am applying is not travelling through the via from one layer to another.

It is not also travelling from the point i apply the input to the metal shells also.

Please suggest if i am missing any basic setting.

Thanks and Regards

ERaja Ma

2 Replies Last Post 12 juil. 2010, 02:21 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 juil. 2010, 09:38 UTC−4
Hi

I'm not used to ECAD import models, but anyhow I suppose you must define your domains and their attached materials, so I assume you must define then all layers and add perhaps conductive boundary layers for the vias

Hope this help ?
Ivar
Hi I'm not used to ECAD import models, but anyhow I suppose you must define your domains and their attached materials, so I assume you must define then all layers and add perhaps conductive boundary layers for the vias Hope this help ? Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 juil. 2010, 02:21 UTC−4
Hi Ivar,

Thanks ,

I am assigning the domains and the material properties, but the problem here is I am using "Use Assembly",

which help me in resolving the boundary and subdomain settings, but the continuity inside the circuit is lost.

More over the circuit which was imported as metal shells was not active(greyed out) in the boundary settings.

Then I realized that establishing identity pairs might help me in establishing the continuity.

I tried with using identity pairs, but few of the identity pairs i created were not active in the domain.

1. Please advise if i can create identity pairs between metal shell( which is inactive) and via which is active.
2. How to bring the metal shells to active state in boundary settings.

Thanks and Regards

ERaja Ma
Hi Ivar, Thanks , I am assigning the domains and the material properties, but the problem here is I am using "Use Assembly", which help me in resolving the boundary and subdomain settings, but the continuity inside the circuit is lost. More over the circuit which was imported as metal shells was not active(greyed out) in the boundary settings. Then I realized that establishing identity pairs might help me in establishing the continuity. I tried with using identity pairs, but few of the identity pairs i created were not active in the domain. 1. Please advise if i can create identity pairs between metal shell( which is inactive) and via which is active. 2. How to bring the metal shells to active state in boundary settings. Thanks and Regards ERaja Ma

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.