Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Optimization Electromagnetic Device

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I need help for an electromagnetic problem- a solenoid who has one main coil and another 2 correcting coils.
I want to optimize the length of the 2 correcting coils and the distance between them, so that the magnetic field be as uniform as possible.
The objective function is f(S,L)=(Bmax-Bmin)/2, where Bmax and Bmin are maximum and minimum of magnetic induction within the controlled subregion and B0 is the induction at the centre of the compound solenoid.
And I need to find the minimum f(S,L).
No constrains are imposed on the latter except the fact that S,L must be positive.

How do I putt that constrains or the objective function in Comsol?

Please help!

3 Replies Last Post 12 juil. 2010, 04:25 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 juil. 2010, 03:01 UTC−4
Hi ,

I am not sure what is the problem but I think you need to have physic node next to optimization node, included as well. Additionally I would use deformed mesh to if you are running V3.5 but if you have V4.0 I heard (thou not yet tried) the geometry optimization is possible simply by creating geometry with variables (instead of the number you can say that your rectangle is variable rect_a which you can use after in you optimization.)

KR
Nenad
Hi , I am not sure what is the problem but I think you need to have physic node next to optimization node, included as well. Additionally I would use deformed mesh to if you are running V3.5 but if you have V4.0 I heard (thou not yet tried) the geometry optimization is possible simply by creating geometry with variables (instead of the number you can say that your rectangle is variable rect_a which you can use after in you optimization.) KR Nenad

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 juil. 2010, 09:50 UTC−4
Hi

I believe first you might restrain your model to the first quadrant and use a horizontal "antisymmetry" boundary on Y=0. It will speed up the calculations.

Then you need to solve the B value, so either you set up a full FEM model with an "air" interface (quarter of circle), perhaps add a spherical PML (perfectly matched layer) and integrate your B value to get a nice optimisation error function, or you add just the equations and solve the B value as 1D PDE case along Z.

In V4 you can also define the position of the coil as a variable, and have COMSOL reconstruct the geometry as it solves.

hope this helps
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe first you might restrain your model to the first quadrant and use a horizontal "antisymmetry" boundary on Y=0. It will speed up the calculations. Then you need to solve the B value, so either you set up a full FEM model with an "air" interface (quarter of circle), perhaps add a spherical PML (perfectly matched layer) and integrate your B value to get a nice optimisation error function, or you add just the equations and solve the B value as 1D PDE case along Z. In V4 you can also define the position of the coil as a variable, and have COMSOL reconstruct the geometry as it solves. hope this helps Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 juil. 2010, 04:25 UTC−4
Thanks a lot!
Thanks a lot!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.