Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

FSI with assembly finalization method

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am attempting to deflect a cylindrical wall with a roller to induce peristaltic motion on a fluid inside. I am aware to the peristaltic pump model where a prescribed deflection has been assigned to the boundary of the cylinder itself, but this will not suffice. I must have the bi-directional influences between the fluid and solid that is provided by the fluid-structure physics workbench.

I have attempted to use the FSI physics workbench with a geometric assembly, but the fluid-solid interface boundary in no longer applicable. Is there a way to have two geometries in one model? An assembly for the roller on the cylinder wall and a union for the FSI interaction?

I have the structural mechanics module and running version 4.0

Thank you

1 Reply Last Post 10 févr. 2012, 04:02 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tyler Bevan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 févr. 2012, 04:02 UTC−5
Hi,

This is a quite old threat but in case this is still an issue for you, I have found the solution.
After having created your geometry and finalized it by forming an assembly, right click on the geometry node
->Boolean operation->Union
and select the solid and fluid domains that are interacting.
This will bring back "identity pairs" concerned to being "interior boundaries", that can therefore be selected for "Fluid-Solid Interface Boundary"

Regards

Julien
Hi, This is a quite old threat but in case this is still an issue for you, I have found the solution. After having created your geometry and finalized it by forming an assembly, right click on the geometry node ->Boolean operation->Union and select the solid and fluid domains that are interacting. This will bring back "identity pairs" concerned to being "interior boundaries", that can therefore be selected for "Fluid-Solid Interface Boundary" Regards Julien

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.