Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multiphysics 4.0 crashing on startup (Windows)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have gotten an academic license for this program so I am unable to go to through the knowledge base. I was hoping someone here could help me out.

I am running Multiphysics 4.0 on Windows 7, initially it was running but it said that it couldnt detect my graphics so it switched to software rendering i think. I kind of ignored this message and switched it to use my graphics card for 3d rendering but now when I start the program, it shows the splash screen and then closes immediately after that.

I have tried to uninstall/reinstall and system restore then install again with no luck, is there a way I can change the 3d rendering back to using software without actually being in the program since I can't boot it up?

Thanks!

4 Replies Last Post 4 août 2010, 05:56 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 août 2010, 01:43 UTC−4
Please search the forum. It has been posted before.
Please search the forum. It has been posted before.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 août 2010, 02:02 UTC−4
Hi

I believe it really means that there are some incompatibility between your graphics card software and COMSOL (they use rather new openGL driver libraries in V4).

I would suggest to try to:
go to your "user document" directory (usually "C:\Users\username" and find the (dot-comsol) ...\.comsol directory. delete then the ...\.comsol\v40 or v40a directory and restart COMSOL. (you need to reset your settings but probably you did not change many things.

relaunch COMSOL and set it to options> preferences>Graphics "software" and SWING

then see if it works, else you would need a reinstall I believe (and or an upgrade of your graphic card drivers)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe it really means that there are some incompatibility between your graphics card software and COMSOL (they use rather new openGL driver libraries in V4). I would suggest to try to: go to your "user document" directory (usually "C:\Users\username" and find the (dot-comsol) ...\.comsol directory. delete then the ...\.comsol\v40 or v40a directory and restart COMSOL. (you need to reset your settings but probably you did not change many things. relaunch COMSOL and set it to options> preferences>Graphics "software" and SWING then see if it works, else you would need a reinstall I believe (and or an upgrade of your graphic card drivers) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 août 2010, 05:39 UTC−4
Thanks Ivar, you're solution worked and my multiphysics is up and running again!

I tried to search the forums for the solution to this but didn't manage to find anything about about a half hour or hour of searching.
Thanks Ivar, you're solution worked and my multiphysics is up and running again! I tried to search the forums for the solution to this but didn't manage to find anything about about a half hour or hour of searching.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 août 2010, 05:56 UTC−4
Hi

good to hear, check te grpahics openGL library version of your graphics card, and if there is no update availble ask COMSOL as thee are the people really knowing what is doing what and the minimum requirements. But on a good PC today software emulation is still acceptable, you need time to think too ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi good to hear, check te grpahics openGL library version of your graphics card, and if there is no update availble ask COMSOL as thee are the people really knowing what is doing what and the minimum requirements. But on a good PC today software emulation is still acceptable, you need time to think too ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.