Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

MHD

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am working with magnetohydrodynamics.
I have to simulate a conductive fluid which is stationary at first. There are 4 magnets under the fluid. AC Electric current of 0.1Hz frequency is passed through the fluid. The fluid begins to move, and it oscillates as the current changes direction. How do I simulate this? Which physics do I use? Since the magnetic field is constant (permanent magnets), do I just need to add a source term in the NS equation? How do I do that? and since the lorentz force is J x B, how do I bring in current density into the picture? I know the conductivity of the fluid (salt concentration), I know the voltage I am applying.
Can I simulate that?

3 Replies Last Post 18 juin 2017, 15:01 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Madhura Gurjar

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 7 years ago 23 mai 2017, 08:06 UTC−4
You need the Magnetic Field (mf) interface from AC/DC (it gives you Maxwell's equations) and a Single Phase Fluid (spa) interface (which gives you Navier-Stokes' equations). Then you can couple them through the volume force, saying that those forces are the Lorentz forces.
You need the Magnetic Field (mf) interface from AC/DC (it gives you Maxwell's equations) and a Single Phase Fluid (spa) interface (which gives you Navier-Stokes' equations). Then you can couple them through the volume force, saying that those forces are the Lorentz forces.

Nirmal Paudel Tribhuvan University/Electrical Engineering

Posted: 7 years ago 24 mai 2017, 09:47 UTC−4
Hi,

The following example on induction pump might be useful here.
www.comsol.com/model/inductive-liquid-metal-pump-5907

Best Regards,
Nirmal
Hi, The following example on induction pump might be useful here. https://www.comsol.com/model/inductive-liquid-metal-pump-5907 Best Regards, Nirmal

Posted: 7 years ago 18 juin 2017, 15:01 UTC−4
Thank you very much about your helpful post.
Thank you very much about your helpful post.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.