Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

heat flux in subdomains

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Goodmorning everybody. I'm using Comsol to modelize the temperature field of a quiescent volcano. I'm using the application mode "heat transfer- transient conduction and convection" in 2D, axial simmetry. I have a problem: I need to impose an heat flux of a certain value, for exemple 2500 J/sm^2, in a singular subdomain: substantially I want to impose a vertical flux into the volcano conduit, that i have modelized by a subdomain of rectangular shape. I don't manage to do it, can you help me? thank you very much

1 Reply Last Post 19 oct. 2009, 17:44 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 oct. 2009, 17:44 UTC−4
Hi

I get always slightly confused with the 2*pi*r multipicand to apply to axisymmetric models therefore I always check out my cases on some simple geometries.

Most source term for a volume is defines as W/m^3, this should then take into the account the 2*pi*r t give a homogenious source, even f r=0 on the axis, when defining the source on a surface (of revolution) in axisymmetry.

If you intend to apply a surface source on the radial edge (of revolution), you must define it as W/m^2 and again I believe this should take into account the case r=0 correctly.

COMSOL behaves slightly differenly in Structural 2D axisymmetry, where you have the option to multiply by 2*pi*r with a "click setting" which changes the Force load case units from N/m (respective to the edge) to N/m^2 (when you consider the edge as a surface by revolution).

so for me:
, subdomain = volume = represented as a surface*2*pi*r in axisymmetry = [W/m^3] (and W=J/s)
, and
, boundary = surface = represented as an edge*2*pi*r in axisymmetry = [W/m^2]

Hope this helps, pls check carefully

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I get always slightly confused with the 2*pi*r multipicand to apply to axisymmetric models therefore I always check out my cases on some simple geometries. Most source term for a volume is defines as W/m^3, this should then take into the account the 2*pi*r t give a homogenious source, even f r=0 on the axis, when defining the source on a surface (of revolution) in axisymmetry. If you intend to apply a surface source on the radial edge (of revolution), you must define it as W/m^2 and again I believe this should take into account the case r=0 correctly. COMSOL behaves slightly differenly in Structural 2D axisymmetry, where you have the option to multiply by 2*pi*r with a "click setting" which changes the Force load case units from N/m (respective to the edge) to N/m^2 (when you consider the edge as a surface by revolution). so for me: , subdomain = volume = represented as a surface*2*pi*r in axisymmetry = [W/m^3] (and W=J/s) , and , boundary = surface = represented as an edge*2*pi*r in axisymmetry = [W/m^2] Hope this helps, pls check carefully Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.