Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moisture Migration in Soil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone! I am not that familiar with COMSOL and I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

My goal is to model the temperature behavior of an underground heating tube. This means the output of the simulation should be the temperature of the tube and its surroundings. The challenge is moisture migration. The soil around the tube contains moisture which tends to move away as the tube heats up its surroundings. I would like to know how to best model this with COMSOL.

I think the Heat Transfer in Porous Media physics could be a starting point. Once you specify a Porous Medium, you have the Thermodynamics, Fluid setting. Should the fluid type be set to moist air? Is this enough to model moisture migration? Also, what is meant by Volume Fraction in the section Immobile Solids?

0 Replies Last Post 24 févr. 2018, 05:05 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello B J

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.