Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D Partition creating discontinuous boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have some photogrammetry-derived models that I am trying to partition into separate halves (e.g. top & bottom, left & right) using an work plane and the "Partition Object/Domain" tool within Geometry.

But the resulting models don't have a continuous boundary that separates the object into two separate domains. Instead the boundary is discontinuous and, therefore, unusable to separate the two halves. I'd like to be able to apply different materials to each half, but this won't work if the boundary isn't continuous around the entire model.

This seems like the exact reason the Partition tool exists, so I'm not sure why it's not able to draw in this boundary as described in the documentation.

Has anyone experienced this in their model or know of a workaround for this problem?

2 Replies Last Post 28 mars 2018, 17:29 UTC−4

Posted: 6 years ago 24 mars 2018, 15:55 UTC−4

Once you created a working plane, the partition function workes as described such that it is possible to assign different materials to the different partioned parts.

Once you created a working plane, the partition function workes as described such that it is possible to assign different materials to the different partioned parts.

Posted: 6 years ago 28 mars 2018, 17:29 UTC−4

This function seems to break with certain irregular geometries, however, such as the ones I'm dealing with that are derived from photogrammetry. Since the boundary created by the partion is not continuous, the resulting model still has only domain and can't have two different materials assigned to it.

This function seems to break with certain irregular geometries, however, such as the ones I'm dealing with that are derived from photogrammetry. Since the boundary created by the partion is not continuous, the resulting model still has only domain and can't have two different materials assigned to it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.