Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simple plate acoustic radiation issues

Riccardo Roberto De Lucia

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am struggling with the simulation results from a model which considers a 0.5x0.4 m^2 aluminium plate (with 0.004 m thickness). In particular, I am performing an eigenfrequency study through a pure FEM simulation. The plate is therefore sourrounded by a sphere with a spherical wave radiation condition. My issues are the following: -Imaginary part in the eigenfrequency computed values. Some eigenfrequenciers show an imaginary part. I understand that this come from some sort of damping which comes from considering the energy loss caused by the radiation of the sphere. What bothers me is that some frequencies remain purely real, and that there seems to be no logic in the mixture of real and complex frequency values. -Strange results for some eigenfrequencies. Some eigenfrequencies produce a completely unexpected (irregular) mode shape, associated with an unreal acoustic pressure fields which is zero above the plate and increases towards the sphere boundaries. - Different simulated modal shapes between a pure mechanical study and a coupled mechanical acoustics study. In the first case I am able to obtain only some of the frequencies I can obtain from the complete acoustic coupled system. I would expect some differences because of air coupling, but the coupled system find way more mode shapes than the pure mechanical study. I need to find which modes are correct and which are not, as I need to collect the correct shapes outside of comsol. I attach the model with the two studies for better understanding. Thank you to anyone would help me figuring out what is going on.

Riccardo

0 Replies Last Post 16 juil. 2018, 04:41 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Riccardo Roberto De Lucia

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.