Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Volume average - multiple evalutions without tedious work

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone, in my project i would like to obtain average values of magnetic fields over ~100 or so domains in my model. My question is as follows: is there any quick/not extremely tedious ways to obtain 100 evaluations (each evalutionis done in a different domain) into one table or exported file? As unexperienced Comsol user it seems that there must exist a way to do that without obnioxous amount of clicking.

I would be very greatful for suggestions/solutions. Sincerely, Peter

4 Replies Last Post 26 sept. 2018, 10:29 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 22 sept. 2018, 03:59 UTC−4

Piotr,

this is something you typically do in a Comsol application, a model method or in a Matlab script.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Piotr, this is something you typically do in a Comsol application, a model method or in a Matlab script. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 6 years ago 23 sept. 2018, 06:11 UTC−4

Hi, Thank you very much for your response. Can you possibly specify how to write an application which evalute volume average of expression "mf.Bz" ,changing domain of evaluation from domain 1 to lets say 100?

I'm not familliar with application builder, and found it hard to find an example doing something simillar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Hi, Thank you very much for your response. Can you possibly specify how to write an application which evalute volume average of expression "mf.Bz" ,changing domain of evaluation from domain 1 to lets say 100? I'm not familliar with application builder, and found it hard to find an example doing something simillar. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Peter

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 23 sept. 2018, 09:14 UTC−4

Peter,

you will not get around studying the application builder. I guess you will have to look into the definition of selections and component couplings. Make yourself familiar with the method-recording function. It allows to record all the clicking (and the API calls behind) you do to manually define the functionality you need. Then you can wrap that into some kind of loop to automate things for 100 domains.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Peter, you will not get around studying the application builder. I guess you will have to look into the definition of selections and component couplings. Make yourself familiar with the method-recording function. It allows to record all the clicking (and the API calls behind) you do to manually define the functionality you need. Then you can wrap that into some kind of loop to automate things for 100 domains. Cheers Edgar

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 26 sept. 2018, 10:29 UTC−4

Hello Peter, You may also find the techniques here useful: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-postprocess-fields-over-arbitrary-geometries/ Note also the sample file linked at the bottom.

Hello Peter, You may also find the techniques here useful: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-postprocess-fields-over-arbitrary-geometries/ Note also the sample file linked at the bottom.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.