Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to apply current excitation on a single-turn inductor?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

I would like to add an excitation signal to my simple inductor but I am very confused how to do it. I have read the ACDC reference manual and several online notes, but none of them seems working to me. (or I misunderstood them) I would like to drive my coil with 10A and analyze its magnetic field but I run into different errors and the simulation always aborted. I have attached some pictures of the setup.

Could somebody give me a practical description about how to use either Lumped Port or Coil funciton for current excitation?

Thank you. Bence

2 Replies Last Post 23 nov. 2018, 05:53 UTC−5

Posted: 5 years ago 23 nov. 2018, 02:35 UTC−5
Updated: 5 years ago 23 nov. 2018, 03:37 UTC−5

Dear Bence,

there are several ways how to implement coils/condustors in COMSOL Multiphysics. You can find a similar model here: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/simulating-helmholtz-coils-comsol-multiphysics .

Best Regards,
Árpád Forberger
Application Engineer, Gamax Laborarory Solutions Ltd.

Dear Bence, there are several ways how to implement coils/condustors in COMSOL Multiphysics. You can find a similar model here: . Best Regards, Árpád Forberger Application Engineer, Gamax Laborarory Solutions Ltd.

Posted: 5 years ago 23 nov. 2018, 05:53 UTC−5

Dear Árpád,

thank you for your quick reply. I have checked the Helmholtz resonator pdf.(I cannot open 5.4 project in my 5.3 Comsol version.) In the pdf, it is written that the Helmholtz inductors are modelled by Homogenised multi-turn coils but I would like to analyze phenomenons related to single-coil model. (even the coil made up by several turns)

1. I have tried Lumped port to put excitation in, but I have always received errors like:

"Uniform lumped port should be placed between two conductive boundaries." even I think I select the boundaries in between the conductive cooper ring parts in a right way.

2. I went through the Coil condition with single-turn coils, but after a while the solver stops and throw an error like:

"Numeric coil Coil 1(coil1) not solved for. Solve it in a Coil Geometry Analysis step." It seems to me that the program cannot generate the current path in the conductor because I cannot see the current direction after selecting the Input and Output edges. Actually, it is not clear for me why the Input is requiring edge instead of boundary (surface).

I have attached my project file.

Kind regards, Bence

Dear Árpád, thank you for your quick reply. I have checked the Helmholtz resonator pdf.(I cannot open 5.4 project in my 5.3 Comsol version.) In the pdf, it is written that the Helmholtz inductors are modelled by Homogenised multi-turn coils but I would like to analyze phenomenons related to single-coil model. (even the coil made up by several turns) 1. I have tried **Lumped port** to put excitation in, but I have always received errors like: > "Uniform lumped port should be placed between two conductive boundaries." even I think I select the boundaries in between the conductive cooper ring parts in a right way. 2. I went through the **Coil condition with single-turn coils**, but after a while the solver stops and throw an error like: > "Numeric coil Coil 1(coil1) not solved for. Solve it in a Coil Geometry Analysis step." It seems to me that the program cannot generate the current path in the conductor because I cannot see the current direction after selecting the Input and Output edges. Actually, it is not clear for me why the Input is requiring edge instead of boundary (surface). I have attached my project file. Kind regards, Bence

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.