Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

interface mismatch

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

At first, I attached a figure here to explain my question.
In the attached figure, there is a cylinder (whose cross section is ellipse) with half an ellipsoid on its top.
The cylinder comes from 2D ellipse extruding, and obviously their interfaces are not consistent with each other.
I used the same semiaxes parameter for these two objects, but why the edge of cylinder is rough?
This mismatch will lead to a warning of inverted mesh element at the edge of their interface, even if the calculation can be finished.
Does anyone meet such a mismatch before? Or can you suggest how to remove the roughness of cylinder to make a better interface? Thanks in advance.

yours,
YAO

2 Replies Last Post 15 déc. 2009, 02:27 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 déc. 2009, 11:13 UTC−5
Hi

Are you sure you have a true mismatch, and not a graphic render issue ?
Depending on the graphics detail you have choosen figures might look like square/hexagonal "circles" but are in fact true smooth circles

Check you graphics settings and see how it meshes
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Are you sure you have a true mismatch, and not a graphic render issue ? Depending on the graphics detail you have choosen figures might look like square/hexagonal "circles" but are in fact true smooth circles Check you graphics settings and see how it meshes Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 déc. 2009, 02:27 UTC−5
Mr. KJELBERG, Thank you for your reply.
I switched "normal" to "fine" in Visualization mesh from Options menu, and get the smoother edge of cylinder. And your are right that "The visualization mesh is independent of the mesh used for the finite element analysis. Changes to the visualization mesh do not affect analysis results."

YAO
Mr. KJELBERG, Thank you for your reply. I switched "normal" to "fine" in Visualization mesh from Options menu, and get the smoother edge of cylinder. And your are right that "The visualization mesh is independent of the mesh used for the finite element analysis. Changes to the visualization mesh do not affect analysis results." YAO

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.