Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to calculate the eigenfrequency and eigenmodes of a solid structure with fluids inside?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I know the solid structure can be calculated by using the structure mechanics module and the fluid structure can be calculated by using the acoustics module. But how to couple the two modules and obtain the coupled eigenfrequency as well as eigenmode? Can anyone give some brief explanation or a small example?
Thanks a lot!

1 Reply Last Post 26 déc. 2009, 00:03 UTC−5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 déc. 2009, 00:03 UTC−5
I would try to build a driven frequency-domain simulation first (with a source), to test if the coupling works, and then switch analysis type in both application modes from frequency-response to eigenfrequency.

If either of the application modes you are using does not support eigenfrequency analysis, you should continue to use frequency-response analysis, but set the frequency (omega_something) of that application mode to "lambda*i" in Scalar Variables dialog. COMSOL defines eigenvalue variable "lambda" as -i*omega in most eigenfrequency analyses, so this would be consistent with the rest.
Then, choose Eigenvalue solver in Solver Settings and use it as you normally would. Make sure that the "Eigenvalue name" is set to "lambda" (in Solver Settings, Eigenvalue tab).
I would try to build a driven frequency-domain simulation first (with a source), to test if the coupling works, and then switch analysis type in both application modes from frequency-response to eigenfrequency. If either of the application modes you are using does not support eigenfrequency analysis, you should continue to use frequency-response analysis, but set the frequency (omega_something) of that application mode to "lambda*i" in Scalar Variables dialog. COMSOL defines eigenvalue variable "lambda" as -i*omega in most eigenfrequency analyses, so this would be consistent with the rest. Then, choose Eigenvalue solver in Solver Settings and use it as you normally would. Make sure that the "Eigenvalue name" is set to "lambda" (in Solver Settings, Eigenvalue tab).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.