Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal Boundary Resistances

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm modelling the thermal characteristics of a thin-film transistor.

In addition to the thermal conductivities of the materials in the stack, I'd like to include some thermal boundary resisistances (in m^2 . K / W, or the inverse as thermal boundary conductance) at the boundaries between certain elements of the device.

What's the best way to implement this?

3 Replies Last Post 19 déc. 2018, 08:36 UTC−5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 18 déc. 2018, 17:21 UTC−5
Updated: 5 years ago 18 déc. 2018, 17:23 UTC−5

Hi Alexander,

If your license includes the add-on Heat Transfer Module, you have access to thin layer formulations documented in the Heat Transfer Module's User's Guide, version 5.4, starting on page 185. This functionality is not part of the basic Heat Transfer capabilities included with the core COMSOL Multiphyscs. To check if your license includes the optional Heat Transfer Module, inside the software go to File > Licensed and Used Products.

This example illustrates this capability.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Alexander, If your license includes the add-on Heat Transfer Module, you have access to thin layer formulations documented in the Heat Transfer Module's User's Guide, version 5.4, starting on page 185. This functionality is not part of the basic Heat Transfer capabilities included with the core COMSOL Multiphyscs. To check if your license includes the optional Heat Transfer Module, inside the software go to File > Licensed and Used Products. [This example](https://www.comsol.com/model/composite-thermal-barrier-13723) illustrates this capability. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 5 years ago 19 déc. 2018, 05:07 UTC−5
Updated: 5 years ago 19 déc. 2018, 06:01 UTC−5

Hi Jeff,

Ah, I can see that my licence doesn't include the Heat Tranfer Module.

In the 'Heat Transfer in Solid (ht)' physics node that I have there is still a 'Thin Layer' option, how is this different to what is offered in the module?

(I'm guessing that it can only do a 'thermally thick approximation' of a thermal boundary resistance...?)

Best regards,

Alex

Hi Jeff, Ah, I can see that my licence doesn't include the Heat Tranfer Module. In the 'Heat Transfer in Solid (ht)' physics node that I have there is still a 'Thin Layer' option, how is this different to what is offered in the module? (I'm guessing that it can only do a 'thermally thick approximation' of a thermal boundary resistance...?) Best regards, Alex

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 19 déc. 2018, 08:36 UTC−5

The attached screenshot (from the "Specification Chart" on our website) compares what's in the core package vs the Heat Transfer Module as far as Thin Layers on boundaries.

Contact your COMSOL rep for a trial of the Heat Transfer Module: www.comsol.com/contact.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
The attached screenshot (from the "Specification Chart" on our website) compares what's in the core package vs the Heat Transfer Module as far as Thin Layers on boundaries. Contact your COMSOL rep for a trial of the Heat Transfer Module: www.comsol.com/contact. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.