Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Non-Newtonian Laminar Flow, user defined flow law

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model ice (non-Newtonian laminar) flow under martian conditions using a flow law used in the literature for non-terrestrial ice modeling. It is essentially a power law form but combining multiple modes of deformation that use different exponents in the power law. This does not fit into any of the pre-defined models available and it appears that in version 5.5 it is no longer possible to use user-defined functions for flow laws. Am I missing something or do I need to go back to 5.4 to do this?

2 Replies Last Post 19 nov. 2019, 16:24 UTC−5
Mats Nigam COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 19 nov. 2019, 03:14 UTC−5
Updated: 4 years ago 19 nov. 2019, 03:15 UTC−5

Dear Claire, If you choose "Newtonian", you can set "Dynamic viscosity" to "User defined" and type in anything you like. Best regards, Mats

Dear Claire, If you choose "Newtonian", you can set "Dynamic viscosity" to "User defined" and type in anything you like. Best regards, Mats

Posted: 4 years ago 19 nov. 2019, 16:24 UTC−5
Updated: 4 years ago 19 nov. 2019, 11:24 UTC−5

Ok, thank you!

Ok, thank you!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.