Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

optical fiber bent

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am working on optical fiber simulation.I am trying to simulate bent fiber with parabolic graded index profile where n (refractive index profile function) is dependent on "r" and given by the following expression: n(r)= n1sqrt(1-2delta(r^2/a^2) if r=<a =n2 if r>a
The Modified refractive index n(equivalent) in bent fiber is given by: n(1+x/(1.4Rb)). With Comsol, I can simulate the straight fiber but "bent fiber" seems confused to me. there is a confusion between "x" and "r". can anyone help me on that.

1 Reply Last Post 30 janv. 2020, 10:42 UTC−5
Lars Dammann COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 30 janv. 2020, 10:42 UTC−5

Hi, I recommend to have a look at our bent fiber example model: https://www.comsol.com/model/step-index-fiber-bend-14189 It simulates both the straight and bent fiber. The bent fiber is simulated in axisymmetric 2D, so the variable "r" is the distance from the symmetry axis. I think you mean the distance to the center of the fiber is called "r"? You may need to change your equation for the refractive index profile accordingly.

I hope this helps. Best wishes, Lars

Hi, I recommend to have a look at our bent fiber example model: https://www.comsol.com/model/step-index-fiber-bend-14189 It simulates both the straight and bent fiber. The bent fiber is simulated in axisymmetric 2D, so the variable "r" is the distance from the symmetry axis. I think you mean the distance to the center of the fiber is called "r"? You may need to change your equation for the refractive index profile accordingly. I hope this helps. Best wishes, Lars

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.