Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Best moduale to use to for beams of light

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I was wondering what would be the best module to use narrow, directed beams of light and their affect upon small objects in the 10^8m-10^7m range. I know of the ray optics moduale but I am unsure if it will be affective on those small scales. Of particular intrest would be to see affects due to snell's law and the path that the light ends up taking.

All the best, Owen Steele.

2 Replies Last Post 23 janv. 2020, 00:06 UTC−5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 22 janv. 2020, 16:54 UTC−5
Updated: 4 years ago 22 janv. 2020, 16:57 UTC−5

Did you mean 10^-8m-10^-7m (aka, 10 nanometers to 100 nanometers) range? If so, and if you are talking about visible light (wavelength about 400-700 nanometers) then the RF module might be a good fit, at least if your goal is to model phenomena that can be described by classical electromagnetism.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Did you mean 10^-8m-10^-7m (aka, 10 nanometers to 100 nanometers) range? If so, and if you are talking about visible light (wavelength about 400-700 nanometers) then the RF module might be a good fit, at least if your goal is to model phenomena that can be described by classical electromagnetism.

Posted: 4 years ago 23 janv. 2020, 00:06 UTC−5

Yes. The wavelength of the EMR I am going for is 700nm. The object size is also within the 10-100 nanometer range. So we would use the Radio Frequency module going off what you are saying.

>Did you mean 10^-8m-10^-7m (aka, 10 nanometers to 100 nanometers) range? If so, and if you are talking about visible light (wavelength about 400-700 nanometers) then the RF module might be a good fit, at least if your goal is to model phenomena that can be described by classical electromagnetism. Yes. The wavelength of the EMR I am going for is 700nm. The object size is also within the 10-100 nanometer range. So we would use the Radio Frequency module going off what you are saying.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.