Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

curves be converted into solids

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I have a question I want to revolutionize a sketch, can curves be converted into solids? I attach the most illustrative image.

1 Reply Last Post 21 janv. 2021, 12:28 UTC−5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 21 janv. 2021, 12:28 UTC−5
Updated: 3 years ago 21 janv. 2021, 12:32 UTC−5

If your curve can be created in a 2D Workplane (which is usually the best way, when possible to do), you can revolve that curve into a 3D space. Note that such a revolved curve will form a surface, not a solid. If you want to form a volume (aka, solid) in 3D, you should probably revolve a 2D surface from a workplane.

If your proposed curve (or surface) cannot be contained/represented in a flat plane, then I do not believe there is a straightforward way to revolve it into a 3D surface (or volume). But you may be able to use it to assist you in constructing the 3D volume of interest to you, if combined with other means (such as extrude, sweep, loft, etc.) There are many ways to actually construct 3D surfaces and/or volumes. So if you have a particular shape that you are trying to make, you might want to describe it in more detail here, since other users may have helpful suggestions to offer.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
If your curve can be created in a 2D Workplane (which is usually the best way, when possible to do), you can revolve that curve into a 3D space. Note that such a revolved *curve* will form a *surface*, not a solid. If you want to form a *volume* (aka, solid) in 3D, you should probably revolve a 2D *surface* from a workplane. If your proposed curve (or surface) *cannot* be contained/represented in a flat plane, then I do not believe there is a *straightforward* way to revolve it into a 3D surface (or volume). But you *may* be able to use it to assist you in constructing the 3D volume of interest to you, if combined with other means (such as extrude, sweep, loft, etc.) There are many ways to actually construct 3D surfaces and/or volumes. So if you have a particular shape that you are trying to make, you might want to describe it in more detail here, since other users may have helpful suggestions to offer.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.