Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Insulating boundary condition cannot be removed for certain surfaces

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I'm encountering an issue where after explictly deleting certain surfaces from an Electrical Insulation boundary condition, they automatically reappear upon running the simulation.

1. In the attached file, please see Component 1 -> Electric Currents -> "Probe Insulation" -> manual boundary selection entities 12 and 15.

2. You should be able to recreate the problem by removing entities 12 and 15 from the boundary selection, clicking Compute (should take ~30s), and then checking that they have reappeared upon the simulation finishing.

Any help would be appreciated!

Best wishes,

Ryan

2 Replies Last Post 13 avr. 2021, 19:51 UTC−4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 12 avr. 2021, 19:55 UTC−4

I only took a brief look at your model, but the first clue I noticed was that you have parameterized the geometry. Your specified parameters under global definitions of r_disc_1 etc. are different than the ones in the parametric sweeps. This can be ok, but it can also cause trouble. In your case, it is causing trouble, modifying the geometry to cause your boundary conditions to be improperly defined. If you make it so they don't change, your problem goes away!

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I only took a brief look at your model, but the first clue I noticed was that you have *parameterized the geometry*. Your specified parameters under global definitions of r_disc_1 etc. are *different* than the ones in the parametric sweeps. This can be ok, but it can also cause trouble. In your case, it is causing trouble, modifying the geometry to cause your boundary conditions to be improperly defined. If you make it so they don't change, your problem goes away!

Posted: 3 years ago 13 avr. 2021, 19:51 UTC−4
Updated: 3 years ago 14 avr. 2021, 04:51 UTC−4

Thanks so much Robert! If I am understanding you correctly, the issue is stemming from the geometry changing upon running a sweep?

Unfortunately I am hoping to loop through various (~200) radii combinations using the parametric sweep function (I set everything to 10mm just as a demonstration), and was wondering if you would have suggestions for how to achieve this?

Thanks so much Robert! If I am understanding you correctly, the issue is stemming from the geometry changing upon running a sweep? Unfortunately I am hoping to loop through various (~200) radii combinations using the parametric sweep function (I set everything to 10mm just as a demonstration), and was wondering if you would have suggestions for how to achieve this?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.