Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Flow of two immiscible fluids in a straight channel one after the other

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I would like to visualize an interface between the immiscible fluids in a straight channel where the bottom wall is patched (10 micrometer thick) with an oil and then water is passed over the oil surface (covering the entire inlet as such the oil patched at the bottom flows along with the water forming an interface) as shown in the attached figure.

I have used Transport of Diluted Species, and Level set Multiphase, but I'm unable to patch the bottom wall with oil.

Process visualization: Initially, Oil is transported through the channel, which forms a layer on the bottom wall and then water is introduced into the channel at a certain flow rate, which leads to the formation of interface/oil saturation

Any suggestions on the suitable physics to trace the oil saturation profile (interface) in the channel and the steps for patching the oil on to the bottom wall or any other ways to do the same.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Regards Kanike

3 Replies Last Post 29 nov. 2021, 20:03 UTC−5
Amin Kazemi Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Toronto

Posted: 2 years ago 28 nov. 2021, 11:29 UTC−5
Updated: 2 years ago 28 nov. 2021, 11:31 UTC−5

To patch the oil on to the bottom wall, define an inlet in the level set node and set the condition to either Fluid 1 (phi=0) or Fluid 2 (phi=1), whichever the oil is assigned to.

To patch the oil on to the bottom wall, define an inlet in the level set node and set the condition to either Fluid 1 (phi=0) or Fluid 2 (phi=1), whichever the oil is assigned to.

Posted: 2 years ago 28 nov. 2021, 11:51 UTC−5

Dear Amin

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards Kanike

Dear Amin Thanks for your suggestion. Regards Kanike

Qinlin China University of Mining and Technology

Posted: 2 years ago 29 nov. 2021, 20:03 UTC−5

you should draw geometry with region that used to set oil region, and then set oil with initial level set parameter. The initial set is now same as FLUENT, which uses Patch.

-------------------
NO
you should draw geometry with region that used to set oil region, and then set oil with initial level set parameter. The initial set is now same as FLUENT, which uses Patch.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.