Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL is slow to compute on a multi-core server

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I designed a large 2D model with about 10 million degrees of freedom. In the process of calculation, I found that COMSOL was in the stage of meshing insertion points for a long time. During this period of time, the test found that the CPU utilization was always 1 core regardless of whether multi-process or multi-thread was used, and all other cores were idle, resulting in slow computation and resource waste.

Is there anyone has encountered this kind of problem, and have a solution to it?

After the completion of grid division, an unknown error occurred in the calculation. If anyone knows what the problem is.

Error: Multiple physical field compilation error An error occurred in the framework during elmesh syntax generation.

2 Replies Last Post 1 déc. 2021, 08:39 UTC−5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 29 nov. 2021, 10:57 UTC−5
Updated: 2 years ago 29 nov. 2021, 11:00 UTC−5

First of all, much of the meshing process simply does not leverage parallel computation. Now, for the rest of your question: I'm guessing that your 2D model has some troublemaking narrow regions or closely positioned points that are causing the Comsol software to have trouble establishing a mesh with acceptable mesh quality. You might want to see if you can simplify, defeature, or otherwise redraw your geometry in those regions to make it easier to mesh there. Also, if you are not already doing so, set the mesh sizes manually in regions that are causing trouble, rather than letting the software do it automatically. If you want more detailed advice, I suggest you post your model (the .mph file) to the forum.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
First of all, much of the meshing process simply does not leverage parallel computation. Now, for the rest of your question: I'm guessing that your 2D model has some troublemaking narrow regions or closely positioned points that are causing the Comsol software to have trouble establishing a mesh with acceptable mesh quality. You might want to see if you can simplify, defeature, or otherwise redraw your geometry in those regions to make it easier to mesh there. Also, if you are not already doing so, set the mesh sizes manually in regions that are causing trouble, rather than letting the software do it automatically. If you want more detailed advice, I suggest you post your model (the .mph file) to the forum.

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 1 déc. 2021, 08:39 UTC−5

In addition to Robert's comments, try also to partitition your geometry: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/improving-your-meshing-with-partitioning/ In short, the more you partition, the more speedup you will (most likely) get.

In addition to Robert's comments, try also to partitition your geometry: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/improving-your-meshing-with-partitioning/ In short, the more you partition, the more speedup you will (most likely) get.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.