Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Introduce the linear buckling mode as the initial imperfection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I want to introduce the linear buckling mode as the initial imperfection of nonlinear buckling analysis. It's easy to do that by comsol 6.0, and I need to specify a scale factor for each mode. But I don't know how much the scale factor should be when I want to take the mode with the size of 1% of the shell thickness as the initial imperfection, because I don't know How does COMSOL normalize the size of buckling modes.

1 Reply Last Post 15 août 2022, 04:32 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago 15 août 2022, 04:32 UTC−4

If you have an existing solution, you can just look at the peak displacements for each eigenmode.

Before solving, you can set the normalization method for the eigenmodes in the Output section of the settings for the Eigenvalue Solver node in the study sequence.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
If you have an existing solution, you can just look at the peak displacements for each eigenmode. Before solving, you can set the normalization method for the eigenmodes in the *Output* section of the settings for the *Eigenvalue Solver* node in the study sequence.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.