Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Totally new to comsol - need suggestions for a simple emag problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Just got access to a machine with comsol.

I want to model the time dependent potential at the edges of a coil (basically EMF) present in the field of an infinitely long (compared to the coil, which has an arbitrary orientation with respect to it) wire carrying a time-dependent current.

Simple problem, but I want to know where to start.

4 Replies Last Post 8 août 2009, 04:46 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 août 2009, 03:27 UTC−4
Hi

For me the best sounds as reading carefully the documentation and running several AC/DC examples, do not expect to become a COMSOL FEM expert just overnight, but it's an excellent tool once you master it

Good luck
Ivar
Hi For me the best sounds as reading carefully the documentation and running several AC/DC examples, do not expect to become a COMSOL FEM expert just overnight, but it's an excellent tool once you master it Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 août 2009, 14:23 UTC−4
Thanks for the hint. I am starting with the AC/DC module documentation. Hopefully, that will help me bridge the gap between my theoretical EM knowhow and the practical matter of using the tool.
Thanks for the hint. I am starting with the AC/DC module documentation. Hopefully, that will help me bridge the gap between my theoretical EM knowhow and the practical matter of using the tool.

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 août 2009, 03:12 UTC−4
I had a patent.
please see into it.
I had a patent. please see into it.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 août 2009, 04:46 UTC−4
Hello again

I can give you another hint I find very usefull, I have indexed my pdf and html doc files using MS Search (and/or Google Search or ...) and then I run search for a given word or strng, as there i quite a ot of info scattered around.

I can also suggest (during the first years, and the first weeks after a new release is installed) to read through regularly the help files (via the help buttons on the screen) specially during the learning process of COMSOL, This learning time is rather long as COMSOL can do a tremendous amount of different physics, and each case needs a slightly specific approach.

As usual for any training the word is read, read and read again ... at least when you are not talking about physical practice ;)

Good luck
Ivar
Hello again I can give you another hint I find very usefull, I have indexed my pdf and html doc files using MS Search (and/or Google Search or ...) and then I run search for a given word or strng, as there i quite a ot of info scattered around. I can also suggest (during the first years, and the first weeks after a new release is installed) to read through regularly the help files (via the help buttons on the screen) specially during the learning process of COMSOL, This learning time is rather long as COMSOL can do a tremendous amount of different physics, and each case needs a slightly specific approach. As usual for any training the word is read, read and read again ... at least when you are not talking about physical practice ;) Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.