Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Strange error in transient analysis in RF-module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am doing a simple 2D in-plane transient wave propagation of electromagnetic field. At the input, there is a TM-plane wave from one boundary which then propagates and stumbles upon a metallic block.

The result I get is totally nonsensical. All of the field gets concentrated inside the metallic block! I tried changing different parameters like mesh refinement, trying different solvers, etc but none seemed to work. Then I tried to increase simulation time but got the following error message:

Error:
Time 1.576596030135143e-13:
Nonlinear solver did not converge.
Last time step is not converged.

I have tried since then different geometries and have noticed that in all of them the simulation fails if metals are included (negative permittivities) but behaves fine with dielectric. Is there some kind of limitation on transient analysis in comsol?

I shall appreciate if someone experienced could help me out. The model file is attached and the impeding block is subdomain 2 there.

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 19 mars 2010, 07:14 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 mars 2010, 07:14 UTC−4
OK, I cannot seem to upload the model file. But hopefully it is not a difficult thing to emulate.

Thanks in anticipation.
OK, I cannot seem to upload the model file. But hopefully it is not a difficult thing to emulate. Thanks in anticipation.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.