Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Computing the volume and time drivation of the change of volume, ALE

Michael Rembe Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I using ALE in an axi-symmetrical model. For calculating the volume I use a integration coupling variable V and 2*pi*r for integration.

Now I need dV/dt (change of volume during time). I can not use d(V,t), because it gives 0 (?). What is the right formulation as integration coupling variable ?

Now I use 2*pi*r*(rt+zt), but I'm not shure. Testing the results manual gives some differences.

Are there any hints?

Best regards,
Michael

2 Replies Last Post 7 août 2009, 15:33 UTC+2

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 août 2009, 14:39 UTC+2
Hi Michael, you need to define a global equation:

Name: Vol
Equation: Vol-V
Init: whatever the initial volume is

Now you can use Volt for the time derivative of the volume (or d(Vol,t)). This is also more computationally efficient than trying to do it directly with an integration coupling variable (if you couple Volt back in the model somewhere) because the Jacobian matrix will not become unnecessarily populated.

With best regards,
Daniel Smith
COMSOL
Hi Michael, you need to define a global equation: Name: Vol Equation: Vol-V Init: whatever the initial volume is Now you can use Volt for the time derivative of the volume (or d(Vol,t)). This is also more computationally efficient than trying to do it directly with an integration coupling variable (if you couple Volt back in the model somewhere) because the Jacobian matrix will not become unnecessarily populated. With best regards, Daniel Smith COMSOL

Michael Rembe Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 août 2009, 15:33 UTC+2
Hi Daniel,

this is right! Formulating this ODE gives the correct time derivation of Vol in place of V!

Thank you very much!

Best regards
Michael Rembe
Hi Daniel, this is right! Formulating this ODE gives the correct time derivation of Vol in place of V! Thank you very much! Best regards Michael Rembe

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.