Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Determine Arrenhius damage integral for a solution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to apply an Arrenhius damage integral DURING the solution of an electrosurgical problem using the Bioheat Transfer Module along with the Conductive Media DC module (T and V are the dependent variables) . The integral is of the form:

Adi = int(A*exp(-E/(R*T),t)

where Adi is the Arrenhius damage integral, int stands for integral and A, E, and R are constants. T is the nodal tissue temperature and t is time.

Is there a way to apply this into the Global Equations by taking the derivative of Adi? Thus making the equation:

Adit = A*exp(-E/(R*T)

I tried this, but received an error that T could not be solved for. Do I need to do something in order for Global Equations to access my dependent variables?

Thanks for any help...I am also interested in any other way that anybody can think of!

16 Replies Last Post 14 juin 2015, 18:51 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 août 2009, 17:20 UTC−4
Something worth some consideration may be manipulation of the Arrenhius Equation algebraically so that the terms have the similar look of a linear equation.

We have had some success in using the following Arrenhius form:

k = A * e^(-Ea/R T)

ln(k) = -(Ea/R) ( 1/ T ) + ln(A)

Similar to:
Y = M * X + B

but care must be taken to use the absolute temperature scale (Kelvin or Rankine) so that solutions at 0degF or 0degC can be properly evaluated.

Something worth some consideration may be manipulation of the Arrenhius Equation algebraically so that the terms have the similar look of a linear equation. We have had some success in using the following Arrenhius form: k = A * e^(-Ea/R T) ln(k) = -(Ea/R) ( 1/ T ) + ln(A) Similar to: Y = M * X + B but care must be taken to use the absolute temperature scale (Kelvin or Rankine) so that solutions at 0degF or 0degC can be properly evaluated.

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 oct. 2009, 13:58 UTC−4
Hi Robert,

were you successful in finding the solution to your problem? I have a similar problem, where I cannot access a dependent variable from a subdomain and use it in a global equation.

Thank you,

Aleksandra
Hi Robert, were you successful in finding the solution to your problem? I have a similar problem, where I cannot access a dependent variable from a subdomain and use it in a global equation. Thank you, Aleksandra

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 oct. 2009, 15:29 UTC−4
Here is what I have done...

Use the PDE, Coeffient Form (c)
Select the subdomains that will be active for the calculation... In Roberts case, the tissue...

Set f (source term) to A*exp(-deltaE/(R*T))
Set da (damping/Mass coefficient) to 1
All other variables to 0

I use Omega for c when I initiate the physics in the modeler...

Your equation will then be dOmega/dt = A*exp(-deltaE/(R*T)) or rearranged dOmega = integral (A*exp(-deltaE/(R*T)),dt) - see attached...
Here is what I have done... Use the PDE, Coeffient Form (c) Select the subdomains that will be active for the calculation... In Roberts case, the tissue... Set f (source term) to A*exp(-deltaE/(R*T)) Set da (damping/Mass coefficient) to 1 All other variables to 0 I use Omega for c when I initiate the physics in the modeler... Your equation will then be dOmega/dt = A*exp(-deltaE/(R*T)) or rearranged dOmega = integral (A*exp(-deltaE/(R*T)),dt) - see attached...

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 oct. 2009, 16:42 UTC−4
Thank you!
Thank you!

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 oct. 2009, 16:58 UTC−4
Make sure your Temperature variable is the one from the bioheat equation (Tb) or whatever physics you are capturing temperature from... T or T2 or Tb....
Make sure your Temperature variable is the one from the bioheat equation (Tb) or whatever physics you are capturing temperature from... T or T2 or Tb....

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 déc. 2009, 12:17 UTC−5
One problem that I have run into with this approach is that the numerical value for Omega can be so large as to cause problems. The most significant problem is that there is a huge Omega gradient that results. Yet typically, the mesh that is being employed has been optimized in terms of element size and spacing, for the thermal solution, and not for the solution of Omega. This causes inaccuracies in the solution for Omega.

One way to improve this is limit the magnitude of Omega. Since Omega greater than 5 is indicative of cellular destruction and destruction is not reversible, there is no need to keep accumulating damage much beyond 5 and create a huge Omega gradient that can lead to inaccuracies.

One way to implement this is to set f (source term) to a variable which is equal to a user-defined function rather than to A*exp(-deltaE/(R*T)). The function can be imported as a look-up table from Excel or matlab. I use excel to compute Omega from 273 K to the upper limit of my temperature range. Then I edit the table to clip the value of Omega to say 7 and import this modified table into COMSOL.

One problem that I have run into with this approach is that the numerical value for Omega can be so large as to cause problems. The most significant problem is that there is a huge Omega gradient that results. Yet typically, the mesh that is being employed has been optimized in terms of element size and spacing, for the thermal solution, and not for the solution of Omega. This causes inaccuracies in the solution for Omega. One way to improve this is limit the magnitude of Omega. Since Omega greater than 5 is indicative of cellular destruction and destruction is not reversible, there is no need to keep accumulating damage much beyond 5 and create a huge Omega gradient that can lead to inaccuracies. One way to implement this is to set f (source term) to a variable which is equal to a user-defined function rather than to A*exp(-deltaE/(R*T)). The function can be imported as a look-up table from Excel or matlab. I use excel to compute Omega from 273 K to the upper limit of my temperature range. Then I edit the table to clip the value of Omega to say 7 and import this modified table into COMSOL.

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 déc. 2009, 17:25 UTC−5
Couldn't you do the same thing by limiting f to calculating f up to 7.... (f<=7)(A*exp(-deltaE/(R*T))) that way it will only sum if the f term is less than or equal to 7.
Couldn't you do the same thing by limiting f to calculating f up to 7.... (f

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 avr. 2012, 21:42 UTC−4
Hi Jason,
I need help! I am trying to apply an Arrenhius damage integral DURING the solution of an thermal ablation problem using the heat Transfer and PDE coefficient form Modules (T and u are the dependent variables). In the end of the simulation, it appears the following message:
"Error:
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Out_of_memory_LU_factorization
Last time step is not converged."
Any help is WELCOME!
Best regards,
Cleber
Hi Jason, I need help! I am trying to apply an Arrenhius damage integral DURING the solution of an thermal ablation problem using the heat Transfer and PDE coefficient form Modules (T and u are the dependent variables). In the end of the simulation, it appears the following message: "Error: Failed to find consistent initial values. Out_of_memory_LU_factorization Last time step is not converged." Any help is WELCOME! Best regards, Cleber

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 avr. 2012, 16:46 UTC−4
Have you ran the simulation with the PDE, coefficient Form(c) disabled? Does the simulation run without the PDE?

It has been a while since I implemented this but I do not remember a u variable.... Only Temperature. What are you using for Ea and A?

-Jason
Have you ran the simulation with the PDE, coefficient Form(c) disabled? Does the simulation run without the PDE? It has been a while since I implemented this but I do not remember a u variable.... Only Temperature. What are you using for Ea and A? -Jason

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 avr. 2012, 12:36 UTC−4
Hi Jason!
I have committed a mistake: I forgot to inform the description of fluid mechanics on my simulation. Actually, I am using the heat transfer, PDE coefficient Form(c) and incompressible Navier-Stokes modules. The u variable describes the fluid velocity in this last modality of Physics.
The values for Ea and A are:
Ea=6.65x10^5 J/mol;
A=1.98x10^106 1/s

The link below illustrates the window of the software COMSOL:
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/download/file/12973/error%20Failed%20to%20find%20consistent%20initial%20values.JPG

Sincerely yours,

Cleber Pinheiro
Hi Jason! I have committed a mistake: I forgot to inform the description of fluid mechanics on my simulation. Actually, I am using the heat transfer, PDE coefficient Form(c) and incompressible Navier-Stokes modules. The u variable describes the fluid velocity in this last modality of Physics. The values for Ea and A are: Ea=6.65x10^5 J/mol; A=1.98x10^106 1/s The link below illustrates the window of the software COMSOL: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/download/file/12973/error%20Failed%20to%20find%20consistent%20initial%20values.JPG Sincerely yours, Cleber Pinheiro

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 avr. 2012, 18:59 UTC−4
A citation only:
The variables used in the simulation are:
T - HEAT TRANSFER MODULE;
u - VELOCITY OF THE FLUID;
u2 - VARIABLE FOR PDE COEFFICENT FORM (c).

The damage integral is defined as u2=integral(A*exp(-Ea/(R*T)dt). Moreover, one solves the equation d/dt(u2)=A*exp(-Ea/(R*T). I use u2 to designate Omega. The source term f is equal to A*exp(-Ea/(R*T))
The boundary conditions are set up as follow:
1) ZERO FLUX;
2) INITIAL VALUES: u2=0 and d/dt(u2)=0.
Best Regards,

Cleber Pinheiro
A citation only: The variables used in the simulation are: T - HEAT TRANSFER MODULE; u - VELOCITY OF THE FLUID; u2 - VARIABLE FOR PDE COEFFICENT FORM (c). The damage integral is defined as u2=integral(A*exp(-Ea/(R*T)dt). Moreover, one solves the equation d/dt(u2)=A*exp(-Ea/(R*T). I use u2 to designate Omega. The source term f is equal to A*exp(-Ea/(R*T)) The boundary conditions are set up as follow: 1) ZERO FLUX; 2) INITIAL VALUES: u2=0 and d/dt(u2)=0. Best Regards, Cleber Pinheiro

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 avr. 2012, 20:37 UTC−4
See attached reference, maybe you can reduce your problem to an algebraic equation.
See attached reference, maybe you can reduce your problem to an algebraic equation.

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 avr. 2012, 14:02 UTC−4
Have you been able to run the thermal/fluid interaction without the Arrenhius damage integral? If the thermal/fluid interaction does not solve, that may be where your error is coming from.
Have you been able to run the thermal/fluid interaction without the Arrenhius damage integral? If the thermal/fluid interaction does not solve, that may be where your error is coming from.

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 mai 2012, 23:54 UTC−4
Hi Jason!
yes, I run the thermal/fluid interaction without the Arrenhius damage integral (NO PROBLEMS in this simulation). So, the thermal/fluid interaction is independent of the damage integral.

Best regards,
Cleber Pinheiro
Hi Jason! yes, I run the thermal/fluid interaction without the Arrenhius damage integral (NO PROBLEMS in this simulation). So, the thermal/fluid interaction is independent of the damage integral. Best regards, Cleber Pinheiro

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 févr. 2013, 19:29 UTC−5
Hello all,
Here's something that pertains to discussion! The problem of convergence was resolved. Only I modified the mesh characteristics. I used the mesh type "fine". However, the arrhenius damage integral assumed negative values in COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS. What's this mean? What is the meaning of these values​​?
Sincerely yours,
--
Cleber Pinheiro
Hello all, Here's something that pertains to discussion! The problem of convergence was resolved. Only I modified the mesh characteristics. I used the mesh type "fine". However, the arrhenius damage integral assumed negative values in COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS. What's this mean? What is the meaning of these values​​? Sincerely yours, -- Cleber Pinheiro

Posted: 9 years ago 14 juin 2015, 18:51 UTC−4

Couldn't you do the same thing by limiting f to calculating f up to 7.... (f<=7)(A*exp(-deltaE/(R*T))) that way it will only sum if the f term is less than or equal to 7.

Hello,

I know this post is kind of old, but can you elaborate on this approach?

Thanks,

EH
[QUOTE] Couldn't you do the same thing by limiting f to calculating f up to 7.... (f

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.