Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[RF module] Transmittance and Reflection Problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

My model is as attched file, in which the blue one represents the dielectric material, SiN with refractive index of 2 (the dielectric material is periodic arranged and infinit long in the y direction) while the yellow region is defined as Air with refractive index of 1. My purpose is to simulate the transmittance and reflection of Plane wave going through the dielectric material arrays. Does anyone konws how to set the boundary conductions (BCs) on the up and bottom BCs and what does the BCs mean? Also, if I set the left BC to be port 1, which excite TE mode light source, what should the BC for right edge? For the dimensions of the model, what should I set for top, bottom, left and right to get the reasonable results, ie how is the length and width for the yellow air region.
Sorry for so many questions. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

David

7 Replies Last Post 17 févr. 2011, 11:37 UTC+1

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 août 2009, 18:51 UTC+2
left: add PML(x), and use scattering boundary condition with a source
right: add PML(x), and use scattering boundary condition without a source
top and bottom: PMC
simulation domain: 10 um is enough

Wenshan
left: add PML(x), and use scattering boundary condition with a source right: add PML(x), and use scattering boundary condition without a source top and bottom: PMC simulation domain: 10 um is enough Wenshan

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 sept. 2009, 21:09 UTC+2
Hi Wenshan,

I am solving a similar problem and your comments were helpful. I was wondering how do you add both a scattering boundary condition and a port source at the same boundary. Or did you mean define the scattering boundary condition with a source such as a plane wave?

Thank you for your help.

Fatima
Hi Wenshan, I am solving a similar problem and your comments were helpful. I was wondering how do you add both a scattering boundary condition and a port source at the same boundary. Or did you mean define the scattering boundary condition with a source such as a plane wave? Thank you for your help. Fatima

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 nov. 2010, 19:14 UTC+1
Hi Wenshan,

I happen to read the reply, I was wondering how to set the "left: add PML(x), and use scattering boundary condition with a source". Could you please tell me?

Regards
Honghui
Hi Wenshan, I happen to read the reply, I was wondering how to set the "left: add PML(x), and use scattering boundary condition with a source". Could you please tell me? Regards Honghui

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 nov. 2010, 10:40 UTC+1
Although Wenshan might be able to clarify, until 3.5a it was impossible to have scattering boundaries in the interiors of geoemtry
Although Wenshan might be able to clarify, until 3.5a it was impossible to have scattering boundaries in the interiors of geoemtry

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 nov. 2010, 10:57 UTC+1
Hi,

I have seen in a paper, they created a domain (not a interior boundary) inside the geometry just beyond one of the PMLs (there are two PMLs in one direction just like the model here), and set this domain as a source to excite the whole calculation domain. I really have no idea how they did this.They did not mention how they did this. Do you have any idea how to do this? or do you know how to add a plane wave source in the interior of a geometry which we can change the incident angle?
Hi, I have seen in a paper, they created a domain (not a interior boundary) inside the geometry just beyond one of the PMLs (there are two PMLs in one direction just like the model here), and set this domain as a source to excite the whole calculation domain. I really have no idea how they did this.They did not mention how they did this. Do you have any idea how to do this? or do you know how to add a plane wave source in the interior of a geometry which we can change the incident angle?

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 nov. 2010, 11:33 UTC+1
I know you cannot have practical excitation sources in the interiors of geometry. The most you can have is to specify the electric/magnetic field values in interior boundaries. But that doesn't allow back reflected waves because the field values are fixed which is rarely what you want in your simulations.

And I have no idea about subdomain sources though it shall be interesting to see.
I know you cannot have practical excitation sources in the interiors of geometry. The most you can have is to specify the electric/magnetic field values in interior boundaries. But that doesn't allow back reflected waves because the field values are fixed which is rarely what you want in your simulations. And I have no idea about subdomain sources though it shall be interesting to see.

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 févr. 2011, 11:37 UTC+1
Good Evening Sir,
I am doing our thesis on metamaterials.
I am proving the negative refraction of metamaterial.
Can you tell me that how we can check the value of refratcted angle??
Please reply.
Thank you so much for reading my message.
Good Evening Sir, I am doing our thesis on metamaterials. I am proving the negative refraction of metamaterial. Can you tell me that how we can check the value of refratcted angle?? Please reply. Thank you so much for reading my message.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.