Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D mesh with mysterious triangular shapes and defaults

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I Ivar, I everybody,

Ivar, thank you for your previous answer ...

To be more clear, I tried another way to make my meshage to get better results. The tube (volume) embedded in a cube (which I call the environment and is also a volume). My calculation is simply to solve an integral on the surface of the tube. In the calcul of this integral I have to use the normal vector unit at the surface of my tube.
[I use :

Nx = (up(dom)>down(dom))*unx+(up(dom)<=down(dom))*dnx
Ny = (up(dom)>down(dom))*uny+(up(dom)<=down(dom))*dny
Nz = (up(dom)>down(dom))*unz+(up(dom)<=down(dom))*dnz]

The solution show in the attachement the constraint tension on the surface of the tube.

1) When I mesh my tube (a volume) (I do not mesh the environment), I get a really good solution and no horrible defaults appear in the solution -----> good (see the attachement)

2) If I both mesh tube (fine mesh) AND cube (a volume) (coarse mesh) into which my tube is embedded, I find the same solution to the previous BUT with some horrible defaults located in the solution ! (see the attachement)

Unfortunately I need this additional environment for the rest of my work.

I do not understand why the fact to mesh the external environment gives these defaults in the solution ! The presence of the mesh of the cube should not be a problem... More, I get some results completely incoherent when the tube is meshed only in surface ...and the normal vectors (Nx, Ny, Nz) are not good oriented.

Have you encountered this problem in your models ?
Unfortunately I cannot send you my complete modele due to the property of this work.

Thank you again for your help.
Thank you Ivar again !

0 Replies Last Post 5 juil. 2010, 17:13 UTC+2
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Pierre Simon

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.