Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol with Matlab 2010b on MacOS X freezes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I just installed Matlab 2010b and then COMSOL 4.1 on a new MacBook computer and everything works fine except I cant start "COMSOL with Matlab".

The app tries to start but it just freezes.

I have cheked the mlroot in comsol.ini and comsolserver.ini and they are correct.

13 Replies Last Post 7 juin 2011, 04:03 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 nov. 2010, 21:56 UTC−5
Try going inside the COMSOL41 folder, right-click on COMSOL with MATLAB to Show Package Contents. Find ComsolLauncher in Contents/MacOS. Open a Terminal window and drag ComsolLauncher to it. Click inside the Terminal window and hit return. You will be prompted for username and password.

When I did this, Matlab opened fine with Comsol lurking in the background. Next time the COMSOL with MATLAB application should work normally. I had to do this for version 4.0a as well. You may need to restart to clear the license manager.

BTW, I get a security issue trying to launch the license manager at startup - do you also?

Hope this helps!
~jim~
Try going inside the COMSOL41 folder, right-click on COMSOL with MATLAB to Show Package Contents. Find ComsolLauncher in Contents/MacOS. Open a Terminal window and drag ComsolLauncher to it. Click inside the Terminal window and hit return. You will be prompted for username and password. When I did this, Matlab opened fine with Comsol lurking in the background. Next time the COMSOL with MATLAB application should work normally. I had to do this for version 4.0a as well. You may need to restart to clear the license manager. BTW, I get a security issue trying to launch the license manager at startup - do you also? Hope this helps! ~jim~

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 nov. 2010, 10:51 UTC−5
Didn't work I get this:

ERROR: Could not start COMSOL Application. See log file: /Users/micke/Library/Preferences/COMSOL/v41/logs/server5.log

The file says

among other stuff:

00001:293 ERROR Exception:
com.comsol.util.exceptions.FlException: Matlab root directory and Matlab start command are both undefined
Matlab root directory and Matlab start command are both undefined
[com.comsol.logger]

Wich is weird since I have the right mlroot specified ( -Dcs.mlroot=/Applications/MATLAB_R2010b.app)
Didn't work I get this: ERROR: Could not start COMSOL Application. See log file: /Users/micke/Library/Preferences/COMSOL/v41/logs/server5.log The file says among other stuff: 00001:293 ERROR Exception: com.comsol.util.exceptions.FlException: Matlab root directory and Matlab start command are both undefined Messages: Matlab root directory and Matlab start command are both undefined [com.comsol.logger] Wich is weird since I have the right mlroot specified ( -Dcs.mlroot=/Applications/MATLAB_R2010b.app)

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 nov. 2010, 10:56 UTC−5
However this works:

start COMSOL Multiphysics Server.app
start Matlab_2010b.app
type "mphstart" in Matlab.

Can it have anything to do with Matlab 2010b not needing X11 in the background? I can see the comsol launcher opens X11.

(Also, no I don't get a license error...)
However this works: start COMSOL Multiphysics Server.app start Matlab_2010b.app type "mphstart" in Matlab. Can it have anything to do with Matlab 2010b not needing X11 in the background? I can see the comsol launcher opens X11. (Also, no I don't get a license error...)

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 nov. 2010, 11:03 UTC−5
Hi

have you got the latest COMSOL patch of 2010nov26 ?,

it states it has solved a few Matlab issues, I do not have Mac so I cannot tell if linked to your issue. Then Matlab 2010b is alo rather new ... (compatibility issues are a hell, I agee ot where you want to spend your time)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you got the latest COMSOL patch of 2010nov26 ?, it states it has solved a few Matlab issues, I do not have Mac so I cannot tell if linked to your issue. Then Matlab 2010b is alo rather new ... (compatibility issues are a hell, I agee ot where you want to spend your time) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 nov. 2010, 17:05 UTC−5
Now I have, however it did not help.
Now I have, however it did not help.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 nov. 2010, 01:28 UTC−5
Hi

sorry to hear that, best is to get some help from "support" or your local rep

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi sorry to hear that, best is to get some help from "support" or your local rep -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 nov. 2010, 08:54 UTC−5
I have the same line in comsol.ini:

-Dcs.mlroot=/Applications/MATLAB_R2010b.app

I doubt it makes any difference, but there is a space before this line and not before any others.

And I do not get your error. Peculiar. At least you have found a method that works!

~jim~
I have the same line in comsol.ini: -Dcs.mlroot=/Applications/MATLAB_R2010b.app I doubt it makes any difference, but there is a space before this line and not before any others. And I do not get your error. Peculiar. At least you have found a method that works! ~jim~

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 févr. 2011, 22:48 UTC−5
Do the 'name and passwords' refer to the one for comsol? What shall I do if I am using Comsol under university license?
Do the 'name and passwords' refer to the one for comsol? What shall I do if I am using Comsol under university license?

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 févr. 2011, 11:14 UTC−5
The name and password are for your Mac account; so perhaps the account type (university or otherwise) does not matter. BTW, this problem went away for the latest version - 4.1.0.154 for me at least.

Hope this helps,
~jim~
The name and password are for your Mac account; so perhaps the account type (university or otherwise) does not matter. BTW, this problem went away for the latest version - 4.1.0.154 for me at least. Hope this helps, ~jim~

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 mai 2011, 06:18 UTC−4
This problem is still there even with the latest release for me. I'm running a new MB Pro with the i7 processor, Matlab 2010b and Comsol 4.1 with the latest patch. The password trick didn't work for me unfortunately. I'll see what the comsol support say about this
This problem is still there even with the latest release for me. I'm running a new MB Pro with the i7 processor, Matlab 2010b and Comsol 4.1 with the latest patch. The password trick didn't work for me unfortunately. I'll see what the comsol support say about this

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 mai 2011, 10:32 UTC−4
These automatic launchers have always been a problem on Mac and has been discussed in this forum earlier on... not sre why but this is a fact. never worked for me either and it is NOT a version issue specifically

But the good nnews is that it is not really serious becasue you can launch the app through the command line exactely as in linux [ as explained in the doc under linux section] . Some paths might need to be corrected but these are obvious changes...

jf

These automatic launchers have always been a problem on Mac and has been discussed in this forum earlier on... not sre why but this is a fact. never worked for me either and it is NOT a version issue specifically But the good nnews is that it is not really serious becasue you can launch the app through the command line exactely as in linux [ as explained in the doc under linux section] . Some paths might need to be corrected but these are obvious changes... jf

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 juin 2011, 17:42 UTC−4

Try going inside the COMSOL41 folder, right-click on COMSOL with MATLAB to Show Package Contents. Find ComsolLauncher in Contents/MacOS. Open a Terminal window and drag ComsolLauncher to it. Click inside the Terminal window and hit return. You will be prompted for username and password.

When I did this, Matlab opened fine with Comsol lurking in the background. Next time the COMSOL with MATLAB application should work normally. I had to do this for version 4.0a as well. You may need to restart to clear the license manager.

BTW, I get a security issue trying to launch the license manager at startup - do you also?

Hope this helps!
~jim~

this is really clever. It works.
[QUOTE] Try going inside the COMSOL41 folder, right-click on COMSOL with MATLAB to Show Package Contents. Find ComsolLauncher in Contents/MacOS. Open a Terminal window and drag ComsolLauncher to it. Click inside the Terminal window and hit return. You will be prompted for username and password. When I did this, Matlab opened fine with Comsol lurking in the background. Next time the COMSOL with MATLAB application should work normally. I had to do this for version 4.0a as well. You may need to restart to clear the license manager. BTW, I get a security issue trying to launch the license manager at startup - do you also? Hope this helps! ~jim~ [/QUOTE] this is really clever. It works.

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 juin 2011, 04:03 UTC−4
The thing with v4 is that there is no need to have COMSOL running in the background when you run simulations from Matlab...
The thing with v4 is that there is no need to have COMSOL running in the background when you run simulations from Matlab...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.