Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

About the electrodes of a quartz resonator

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am the graduate school student of Waseda University in Japan.
And I have used COMSOL for several months to simulate the rectangular quartz resonators.
Now I have a question about the electrodes of resonator.
Is it necessary to build the electrodes as a minor plane-strain model under piezoelectric model(quartz plate)?

thank you.

Chen

3 Replies Last Post 28 avr. 2011, 05:05 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 avr. 2011, 02:54 UTC−4
Hi

I'm not sure I understand fully your question, for me you have two issues: are you interested in the added mass, the conductivity, the stress in the plate ...
The lightest (computationally) is to add the electrodes as thin layers on a 2D or 3D boundary

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I understand fully your question, for me you have two issues: are you interested in the added mass, the conductivity, the stress in the plate ... The lightest (computationally) is to add the electrodes as thin layers on a 2D or 3D boundary -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 avr. 2011, 03:33 UTC−4
Hi,
In this 2D model, I add electric potential on the boundary of resonator, And assume it is isolated.
there is no stress in the plate.
The vibration modes under different eigenfrequency will be my concern.
The vibration modes are determined by x-displacement and y-displacement graph.
But electrodes had not been added until recentness.
The mass of added electrodes will cause the frequency shifting by Sauerbrey equation.
I wonder if the electrodes just add the electrodes as thin layers in the piezoelectric model, will the frequency shifting be different?

thank you.

Chen
Hi, In this 2D model, I add electric potential on the boundary of resonator, And assume it is isolated. there is no stress in the plate. The vibration modes under different eigenfrequency will be my concern. The vibration modes are determined by x-displacement and y-displacement graph. But electrodes had not been added until recentness. The mass of added electrodes will cause the frequency shifting by Sauerbrey equation. I wonder if the electrodes just add the electrodes as thin layers in the piezoelectric model, will the frequency shifting be different? thank you. Chen

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 avr. 2011, 05:05 UTC−4
Hi

Indeed you will need to check if the mass is added by default by COMSOL or if yu need to add the mass as a boundary mass. You can study the equations used by COMSOL if you turn on the "equation view" under preferences.

I cannot give you any definitive answer woud have to do the check myself, as I'm no longer sure

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Indeed you will need to check if the mass is added by default by COMSOL or if yu need to add the mass as a boundary mass. You can study the equations used by COMSOL if you turn on the "equation view" under preferences. I cannot give you any definitive answer woud have to do the check myself, as I'm no longer sure -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.