Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

question in the blood vessel tutorial

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In the attached tutorial, on page 15, the force (boundary load) in the x,y,z directions is specified with a negative sign. I am wondering if someone can explain what the negative sign signifies. I am asking because when I look under the fluid properties, the stress vectors are defined as spf.T_stressx , spf.T_stressy and spf.T_stressz and not -spf.T_stressx,-spf.T_stressy and -spf.T_stressz.

Thanks for the help.

Sirisha

6 Replies Last Post 10 mai 2016, 05:10 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 mai 2011, 12:10 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 janv. 2012, 07:50 UTC−5
Hi,

I am also involved in implementing the similar problem. I also want to have clarification especially when implementing such relation to other problems.

Thanks
Hi, I am also involved in implementing the similar problem. I also want to have clarification especially when implementing such relation to other problems. Thanks

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 janv. 2012, 15:23 UTC−5
The minus sign is because the traction or force per unit area on the solid surfaces is the negative of the same quantity on the matching fluid surfaces.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
The minus sign is because the traction or force per unit area on the solid surfaces is the negative of the same quantity on the matching fluid surfaces. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 déc. 2012, 03:05 UTC−5
I think the the stress (spf.T_stressx , spf.T_stressy and spf.T_stressz ) is acted on the fluid , while the force acted on the artery walls is -spf.T_stressx , -spf.T_stressy and -spf.T_stressz. They are a pair of acting force and reacting force.
I think the the stress (spf.T_stressx , spf.T_stressy and spf.T_stressz ) is acted on the fluid , while the force acted on the artery walls is -spf.T_stressx , -spf.T_stressy and -spf.T_stressz. They are a pair of acting force and reacting force.

Posted: 8 years ago 7 déc. 2015, 12:41 UTC−5
in (r,z) coordinate system, these would be spf.T_stressr , spf.T_stressz right?
in (r,z) coordinate system, these would be spf.T_stressr , spf.T_stressz right?

Posted: 8 years ago 10 mai 2016, 05:10 UTC−4
www.comsol.com/blogs/how-do-i-compute-lift-and-drag/;
May this will help you , the minus sign would represent the force to "the fluid", if integral the force to the wall or boundary , "(spf.T_stressx , spf.T_stressy and spf.T_stressz )" would be the right choice.
https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-do-i-compute-lift-and-drag/; May this will help you , the minus sign would represent the force to "the fluid", if integral the force to the wall or boundary , "(spf.T_stressx , spf.T_stressy and spf.T_stressz )" would be the right choice.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.