Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How parallel my model can run?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

i am working on a simple time dependent simulation that include a single domain of a conductive gas (custom made T dependent material ) with electric current + heat transfer in fluids interfaces, so the equations are the current conservation and heat transfer equation with a single heat flux boundary + everything else is insulation , and joule heating calculated as a variable (no multiphysics). i used a very fine mesh, and i run the simulation on a single core, and 40 cores (2x20cores) on the hpc, and i noticed that the single core one run similar or even faster than the 40 core one, so i read the blog "Understanding Parallel Computing " https://www.comsol.com/blogs/understanding-parallel-computing/. i realized that my model is a Completely Serial problem, and i was wordering if there there are ways to help comsol parallelize my model and use as much cores as possible since it is stated in the blog "The possible speedup is mainly governed by the speedup possible when solving the partially parallel system of linear equations". in case of a serial problem, would a cheap 4Ghz i3 processor run faster than the hpc xeon 2.8Ghz one? since it can support up to 64Gb of ddr4 ram as well.

0 Replies Last Post 17 déc. 2018, 17:22 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Youssef Aider

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.