Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Batch importing CAD models into COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm using SIEMENS NX to create the CAD model which will subsenquently be imported into COMSOL for further simulation. Each CAD model is exactlly the same except for one parameter value. So it's a parameter study. My questions are:

1. Is there a LiveLink between SIEMENS NX and COMSOL?
  2. If not, is there a function in COMSOL that can batch import CAD models and simulate one by one?
  3. If this function does not exist, can this be achieved by some codes?

Thanks in advance.

Zhang Ze

4 Replies Last Post 14 janv. 2019, 03:51 UTC−5
Lars Gregersen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 10 janv. 2019, 04:56 UTC−5

Hi Ze

No, we don't currently have a LiveLink for Siemens NX.

You can export the NX CAD models as a Parasolid files and import them into Comsol using the Comsol GUI.

The CAD file import can be scripted in Comsol so you can loop over CAD files. You can do this using an app or by using LiveLink for Matlab. Note that the license agreement requires you to create a GUI to control the process.

If you define suitable selections in your Comsol model you can make sure that boundary settings are correctle placed on the imported geometry befor solving.

-------------------
Lars Gregersen
Comsol Denmark
Hi Ze No, we don't currently have a LiveLink for Siemens NX. You can export the NX CAD models as a Parasolid files and import them into Comsol using the Comsol GUI. The CAD file import can be scripted in Comsol so you can loop over CAD files. You can do this using an app or by using LiveLink for Matlab. Note that the license agreement requires you to create a GUI to control the process. If you define suitable selections in your Comsol model you can make sure that boundary settings are correctle placed on the imported geometry befor solving.

Posted: 5 years ago 10 janv. 2019, 05:02 UTC−5

Hi Ze

No, we don't currently have a LiveLink for Siemens NX.

You can export the NX CAD models as a Parasolid files and import them into Comsol using the Comsol GUI.

The CAD file import can be scripted in Comsol so you can loop over CAD files. You can do this using an app or by using LiveLink for Matlab. Note that the license agreement requires you to create a GUI to control the process.

If you define suitable selections in your Comsol model you can make sure that boundary settings are correctle placed on the imported geometry befor solving.

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that this can be achieved somehow. I do have the license for Matlab Livelink. Would you please give me a little bit more information on how to import using Matlab Livelink?

Regards, Zhang Ze

>Hi Ze > >No, we don't currently have a LiveLink for Siemens NX. > >You can export the NX CAD models as a Parasolid files and import them into Comsol using the Comsol GUI. > >The CAD file import can be scripted in Comsol so you can loop over CAD files. You can do this using an app or by using LiveLink for Matlab. Note that the license agreement requires you to create a GUI to control the process. > >If you define suitable selections in your Comsol model you can make sure that boundary settings are correctle placed on the imported geometry befor solving. Hi Lars, Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that this can be achieved somehow. I do have the license for Matlab Livelink. Would you please give me a little bit more information on how to import using Matlab Livelink? Regards, Zhang Ze

Lars Gregersen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 11 janv. 2019, 03:31 UTC−5
Updated: 5 years ago 11 janv. 2019, 08:32 UTC−5

Hi Zhang Ze

CAD file import is described to some extent in the Programming Reference Manual and there is also a programming reference chapter in the CAD Import Module User's Guide where you should read about the "Import" feature.

In order to get a useful example I recommend that you set up a model in the Comsol GUI (including selections and physics settings) and save the model as an M-file to learn about the syntax.

The challenge will be how to handle selection so the model is set up correctly. This depends heavily on your geometry and the physics settings you need to have in your model. There is more info about that here: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/automatically-handling-selections-comsol-multiphysics/

-------------------
Lars Gregersen
Comsol Denmark
Hi Zhang Ze CAD file import is described to some extent in the Programming Reference Manual and there is also a programming reference chapter in the CAD Import Module User's Guide where you should read about the "Import" feature. In order to get a useful example I recommend that you set up a model in the Comsol GUI (including selections and physics settings) and save the model as an M-file to learn about the syntax. The challenge will be how to handle selection so the model is set up correctly. This depends heavily on your geometry and the physics settings you need to have in your model. There is more info about that here: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/automatically-handling-selections-comsol-multiphysics/

Posted: 5 years ago 14 janv. 2019, 03:51 UTC−5

Hi Zhang Ze

CAD file import is described to some extent in the Programming Reference Manual and there is also a programming reference chapter in the CAD Import Module User's Guide where you should read about the "Import" feature.

In order to get a useful example I recommend that you set up a model in the Comsol GUI (including selections and physics settings) and save the model as an M-file to learn about the syntax.

The challenge will be how to handle selection so the model is set up correctly. This depends heavily on your geometry and the physics settings you need to have in your model. There is more info about that here: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/automatically-handling-selections-comsol-multiphysics/

Hi Lars,

Thank you for the reply. I will have a look on the links.

Regards, Zhang Ze

>Hi Zhang Ze > >CAD file import is described to some extent in the Programming Reference Manual and there is also a programming reference chapter in the CAD Import Module User's Guide where you should read about the "Import" feature. > >In order to get a useful example I recommend that you set up a model in the Comsol GUI (including selections and physics settings) and save the model as an M-file to learn about the syntax. > >The challenge will be how to handle selection so the model is set up correctly. This depends heavily on your geometry and the physics settings you need to have in your model. There is more info about that here: >https://www.comsol.com/blogs/automatically-handling-selections-comsol-multiphysics/ Hi Lars, Thank you for the reply. I will have a look on the links. Regards, Zhang Ze

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.