Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to increase a load in a physical time

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone, I started to realize a preliminary breast computational model with COMSOL: first have to study the gravitational effect on it, by increasing the gravity progressively from zero at initial stage to g in a physical time of 60 s. How can I do this? How can I increase progressively this load in 60 s? Thank you a lot,

Maria

4 Replies Last Post 17 janv. 2019, 11:57 UTC−5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 17 janv. 2019, 08:55 UTC−5

COMSOL's graphical user interface is interpreted, so that in the various text fields where you specify your physics you can type in expressions that depend on variables, coordinates, and (most important for you, Maria), time. Time is "t". So you can type a mathematical expression of you choice involving "t" to have a load evolve with time. Note that many advanced mathematical functions are preimplemented for you, see the Component > Definitions > Functions nodes.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
COMSOL's graphical user interface is interpreted, so that in the various text fields where you specify your physics you can type in expressions that depend on variables, coordinates, and (most important for you, Maria), time. Time is "t". So you can type a mathematical expression of you choice involving "t" to have a load evolve with time. Note that many advanced mathematical functions are preimplemented for you, see the Component > Definitions > Functions nodes. Best, Jeff

Posted: 5 years ago 17 janv. 2019, 11:19 UTC−5

COMSOL's graphical user interface is interpreted, so that in the various text fields where you specify your physics you can type in expressions that depend on variables, coordinates, and (most important for you, Maria), time. Time is "t". So you can type a mathematical expression of you choice involving "t" to have a load evolve with time. Note that many advanced mathematical functions are preimplemented for you, see the Component > Definitions > Functions nodes.

Best,

Jeff

Thank you for your kind attention, Jeff. I tried to define a piecewise function, but the result was the following: "The following feature has encountered a problem: -feature: undefined value found in the stiffness matrix. Undefined value found. -detail: undefined value found in the stiffness matrix.

I defined the variable g with the expressione x/t^2, in order to obtain the correct unit, and maybe for this reason I obtain some result that are undefined. So I don't know how to solve this problem. Could you help me? I'm not able to realize which is the error.

Thank you so much, Maria

>COMSOL's graphical user interface is interpreted, so that in the various text fields where you specify your physics you can type in expressions that depend on variables, coordinates, and (most important for you, Maria), time. Time is "t". So you can type a mathematical expression of you choice involving "t" to have a load evolve with time. Note that many advanced mathematical functions are preimplemented for you, see the Component > Definitions > Functions nodes. > >Best, > >Jeff Thank you for your kind attention, Jeff. I tried to define a piecewise function, but the result was the following: "The following feature has encountered a problem: -feature: undefined value found in the stiffness matrix. Undefined value found. -detail: undefined value found in the stiffness matrix. I defined the variable g with the expressione x/t^2, in order to obtain the correct unit, and maybe for this reason I obtain some result that are undefined. So I don't know how to solve this problem. Could you help me? I'm not able to realize which is the error. Thank you so much, Maria

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 17 janv. 2019, 11:37 UTC−5
Updated: 5 years ago 17 janv. 2019, 13:13 UTC−5

H Maria,

A couple of thoughts: * The problem mau come from the division by zero at t=0 for your variable g=x/t^2. * Also, when you specify a function (as opposed to a variable), you need to pass arguments to it when you use it. So, say you define a function called myfunction which is a function of x and t, you need to use the syntax myfunction(x,y) to use it somewhere else in your model.

If that does not resolve the problem, I'll invite you to send your model file (.mph file) to the COMSOL support team, support@comsol.com, with a mention of this Discussion Forum thread. That's the more appropriate environment to get support questions handled by COMSOL support staff and it brings in resources at our end not available in the Discussion Forum.

Thanks,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
H Maria, A couple of thoughts: * The problem mau come from the division by zero at t=0 for your variable g=x/t^2. * Also, when you specify a function (as opposed to a variable), you need to pass arguments to it when you use it. So, say you define a function called myfunction which is a function of x and t, you need to use the syntax myfunction(x,y) to use it somewhere else in your model. If that does not resolve the problem, I'll invite you to send your model file (.mph file) to the COMSOL support team, support@comsol.com, with a mention of this Discussion Forum thread. That's the more appropriate environment to get support questions handled by COMSOL support staff and it brings in resources at our end not available in the Discussion Forum. Thanks, Jeff

Posted: 5 years ago 17 janv. 2019, 11:57 UTC−5

Thanks a lot Jeff, you have been so kind and your support has been important for me. I resolved my problem now.

Thank you again, Maria

Thanks a lot Jeff, you have been so kind and your support has been important for me. I resolved my problem now. Thank you again, Maria

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.