Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Bending MicroChannels

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to simulate a bending microchannel. In the simulation i want to do a parametric swwep of the bending angle in the range(10,5,180).

when creating the geometry of the channel, i used parametric curves for the bending radius. The thing is i want the length of the channel to remain constant when sweeping between angles. So far i created a channel and everything went fine, except for example when the angle is 80, the length of the channel would be different from when the angle is 90 etc. How can i proceeed ?

Thanks for any help.

1 Reply Last Post 29 août 2019, 13:39 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 29 août 2019, 13:39 UTC−4
Updated: 5 years ago 30 août 2019, 08:46 UTC−4

Hello Hadi,

There are several ways the length of the channel could remain constant while you vary the angle of the bend: the bottom straight section could vary in length while the top straight section remains of constant length, or the top straight section could vary in length while the bottom straight section remains of constant length, or both straight sections could vary in length; so you have some decision to make there. Also, I presume that it is the midline of the microchannel that you want to keep of a constant length, but perhaps it is one of its edges; this is not entirely clear to me from your post.

In any case, you can implement any of those constraints by using the fact that the length of an arc of circle is , where is the angle expressed in radians and is the radius, and specifying the length of either or both of the straight sections accordingly in terms of.

Although in this simple case things are pretty straightforward to implement already, I should mention that geometric constraints will be a lot easier to implement when we release version 5.5 of the Design Module in just a few weeks. Stay tuned!

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Hadi, There are several ways the length of the channel could remain constant while you vary the angle of the bend: the bottom straight section could vary in length while the top straight section remains of constant length, or the top straight section could vary in length while the bottom straight section remains of constant length, or both straight sections could vary in length; so you have some decision to make there. Also, I presume that it is the midline of the microchannel that you want to keep of a constant length, but perhaps it is one of its edges; this is not entirely clear to me from your post. In any case, you can implement any of those constraints by using the fact that the length of an arc of circle is R \times \theta , where \theta is the angle expressed in radians and R is the radius, and specifying the length of either or both of the straight sections accordingly in terms of\theta. Although in this simple case things are pretty straightforward to implement already, I should mention that geometric constraints will be a lot easier to implement when we release version 5.5 of the Design Module in just a few weeks. Stay tuned! Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.