Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Relativistic correction for electron particles

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

How is a relativistic correction applied to a model of electrostatic optics with electron particles?

I am modeling some ion optics and the electron particles reach 1/3 the speed of light in the results. I heard that there is a way to put in a relativistic correction, but could not finding anything in the knowledge base.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 4 janv. 2012, 17:24 UTC−5
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 janv. 2012, 17:24 UTC−5
Hi, this is possible to do in the particle tracing module. To do this you can ask your CSR for model entry 12267 which shows how to do this. It is quite easy, for the electron mass, instead of setting it to me_const, set it to:

me_const/sqrt(1-cpt.V^2/c_const^2)

where cpt is the tag for the particle tracing physics interface.
Hi, this is possible to do in the particle tracing module. To do this you can ask your CSR for model entry 12267 which shows how to do this. It is quite easy, for the electron mass, instead of setting it to me_const, set it to: me_const/sqrt(1-cpt.V^2/c_const^2) where cpt is the tag for the particle tracing physics interface.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.