Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cut Solution in Half?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have a post processing question: I'd like to use iso surfaces in 3D to display my result. Is it possible to cut away lets say half of the solution data to look into the iso surfaces? One can only see the outermost surfaces...

Regards
Matthias

5 Replies Last Post 5 janv. 2012, 10:26 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 janv. 2012, 03:18 UTC−5
Hi

try a right click on the "Data Set node" there you can create/extract other data sets from the original, with cuts, etc.

But you have also the Plot slice option in 3D

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi try a right click on the "Data Set node" there you can create/extract other data sets from the original, with cuts, etc. But you have also the Plot slice option in 3D -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 janv. 2012, 03:37 UTC−5
Hi,

thanks for your reply.

I am not looking for a cut plane, but I'd like to plot in 3D maybe those solution data points where x > 0 to look inside the model.

Best regards
Matthias
Hi, thanks for your reply. I am not looking for a cut plane, but I'd like to plot in 3D maybe those solution data points where x > 0 to look inside the model. Best regards Matthias

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 janv. 2012, 09:49 UTC−5
If I understand you correctly, you are looking for filters. You can right click on any 2D or 3D plot node and add a Filter node. You can then use a logical expression, e.g. x > 0.1 && z > 0.5 to only include the elements that fullfill the specified condition.
If I understand you correctly, you are looking for filters. You can right click on any 2D or 3D plot node and add a Filter node. You can then use a logical expression, e.g. x > 0.1 && z > 0.5 to only include the elements that fullfill the specified condition.

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 janv. 2012, 09:59 UTC−5
Thanks a lot, that was exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks a lot, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 janv. 2012, 10:26 UTC−5
Hi

indeed you have the "filter" sub node, but there is also the cut plane and then export a plane variable as a 3D height plot, there are many possibilities, all depends on what you are looking for ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed you have the "filter" sub node, but there is also the cut plane and then export a plane variable as a 3D height plot, there are many possibilities, all depends on what you are looking for ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.