Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to modify the Solver to increase the time-steps only around pulses?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate the voltage of a primary battery cell by applying a pulsating current. The battery should be functional for more than 5 years with this current.

Because the pulses are small (less than 8 seconds), the timestep should be very small. But having a 1-second time-step for 5 years exceeds COMSOL's capability, so I was wondering what is the best option for this. If I choose Strict Time Stepping and 1 s time-step, it works very nice for a shorter time range, but if I choose Free Time Stepping, the solver jumps over the pulses. However, the Strict option is limited by the maximum number of time steps allowed in COMSOL. My question is...

Is it possible to modify the solver so that it will have a higher density of time-steps around the 8s pulses and coarser otherwise? The pulses are generated using an analytical function

I have created a simplified model to illustrate this issue (see attachment).

If one goes to:

Study 1 > Solver Configurations > Solution 1 > Time-Dependent Solver 1 > Time Stepping Option

and chooses Free in the "Time steps taken by the solver", one can see that the capacity (Q in the results) jumps over the pulses. If one chooses Strict, it will calculate the capacity without any issues, as expected.

However, for simulating a 5-year range, for the second option, the time-steps should be minimum 100 s, which would jump the 8s pulses and will take a long time (sometimes COMSOL freezes if I use 100 s and 5 yr range).

0 Replies Last Post 18 sept. 2020, 12:23 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Paul Coman

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.