Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to input a time-varying (sinusoidal) heat rate?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am using the Heat Transfer and Laminar Flow modules within Comsol for a time dependent simulation. For my initial model I added a heat source by specifying a constant value for the heat rate -which is essentially a step function starting at time = 0. I am trying to adjust this now so the heat rate is time-varying and specified by a sinusoidal function. I found this previous thread which says I can replace the constant value with something like 'Asin(Bt)+C'. However, when I do this I get the error message / warning: "unexpected unit of input". Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Does COMSOL have a built in variable that you can use to specify time?

Thank you

2 Replies Last Post 12 janv. 2021, 15:17 UTC−5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 12 janv. 2021, 15:04 UTC−5

Hello Vivek,

Mathematical functions like sin expect a scalar input, so check if your B has dimensions of 1/time. That's likely your problem.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Vivek, Mathematical functions like sin expect a scalar input, so check if your B has dimensions of 1/time. That's likely your problem. Best, Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago 12 janv. 2021, 15:17 UTC−5

Hello Vivek,

Mathematical functions like sin expect a scalar input, so check if your B has dimensions of 1/time. That's likely your problem.

Best,

Jeff

Thanks! This solved the issue.

>Hello Vivek, > >Mathematical functions like sin expect a scalar input, so check if your B has dimensions of 1/time. That's likely your problem. > >Best, > >Jeff Thanks! This solved the issue.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.