Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Asymptotic and numerical solutions to PDE not agreeing with each other

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to verify a leading-order asymptotic solution (as ) of the problem

where

I have determined that a composite solution to the problem, at leading-order, is

and I have checked that this satisfies the PDEs and boundary conditions, and they are all satisfied (and although the composite solution does not satisfy the boundary conditions at exactly, it does agree up to exponentially small corrections as .)

I am trying to solve this exact problem in COMSOL (with ), but the analytical solution and the solution obtained by COMSOL do not seem to be agreeing with each other, which is very odd. Although they show the same qualitative behaviour, I would hope that the solutions are close together numerically, and they are not (perhaps due to a scale factor gone awry somewhere).

I have attached screenshots of my implementation in COMSOL, and would like some clarification as to whether I have implemented the problem correctly, and whether there is something subtle (or not) that I have missed. I also include the COMSOL file for completeness.

0 Replies Last Post 9 juil. 2021, 08:37 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Oliver Bond

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.