Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Scaling of motional mass

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

Thanks to this forum I have found out how to calculate the motional mass for different vibrational structures. The calculation of (MPF_mod1.u^2)/(TotalMass) and for v and w gives a nice distribution of motional masses, and taking enough eigenmodes sums up to the total mass. However I think there must be a further normalization I do not understand because for the clamped membrane case I find a participation factor of a half the total mass instead of the 1/4 it is in reality. The same is the case for a clamped wire/beam where the motional mass should be half the total but instead is about 0.7 of the total mass. I attach this case.

Am I just confusing the normalization?

1 Reply Last Post 11 févr. 2013, 07:17 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 févr. 2013, 07:17 UTC−5
Hi

I'm not sure I follow you, why should only a part of the mass participate, I agree if you clampe once, or twice the total amount of "mass" participating in each mode changes, but if you add up all (to INF) you should get to 1 or total mass.

Anyhow it's not fully true to call it mass, its something like an equivalent mass, as relative mass " mode shape " requency give an energy ratio relation.

And do not forget that COMSOl only defines u,v,w mass, not Rx Ry Rz inertias, these *body rotations" are missing, unfortunately

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I follow you, why should only a part of the mass participate, I agree if you clampe once, or twice the total amount of "mass" participating in each mode changes, but if you add up all (to INF) you should get to 1 or total mass. Anyhow it's not fully true to call it mass, its something like an equivalent mass, as relative mass " mode shape " requency give an energy ratio relation. And do not forget that COMSOl only defines u,v,w mass, not Rx Ry Rz inertias, these *body rotations" are missing, unfortunately -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.