Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal stress analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi sir,

i have analysed thermal stress by passing the laser beam on rectangular plate (through structural mechanics module).i used stainless steel temp dependent material properties to my simulation. i used elasto plastic properties yield and tangent modulus. i have attached the properties also.i satisfied with results of deformation of plate and temperature profile. but my major problem is von mises stress exceed the ultimate stress level.

how can i reduce the stress value??

is there any possible to use smooth function.

please help me genius.

6 Replies Last Post 15 mars 2013, 10:18 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 mars 2013, 18:13 UTC−4
Hi

I do not catch you there ? smoothing the table values (use an interolation functon with a higher order setting) will not change the stress reached, or ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not catch you there ? smoothing the table values (use an interolation functon with a higher order setting) will not change the stress reached, or ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 mars 2013, 04:35 UTC−4
dear ivar,

Thanks for your reply.i used temperature dependent properties by using interpolation function.but i am getting 700mpa von mises stress .but stainless steel ultimate tensile strength is 515 mpa.

i used interpolation function.but what is higher order setting??

can you help me?
dear ivar, Thanks for your reply.i used temperature dependent properties by using interpolation function.but i am getting 700mpa von mises stress .but stainless steel ultimate tensile strength is 515 mpa. i used interpolation function.but what is higher order setting?? can you help me?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 mars 2013, 07:11 UTC−4
Hi

first of all I hope its Mega and not milli Pascal you are referring to ;)
But I do not catch you, is it the interpolation function that get far out, or is it the results of your simulation ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first of all I hope its Mega and not milli Pascal you are referring to ;) But I do not catch you, is it the interpolation function that get far out, or is it the results of your simulation ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 mars 2013, 09:20 UTC−4
Dear ivar,
sorry for my explanation. this is my final result Von mises stress value about 700 Mega Pascal. von Mises stress I got from Comsol too high (>>yield strength of materials) than I expected.
Dear ivar, sorry for my explanation. this is my final result Von mises stress value about 700 Mega Pascal. von Mises stress I got from Comsol too high (>>yield strength of materials) than I expected.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 mars 2013, 10:18 UTC−4
The ultimate tensile strength of the material is not accounted for in the elastic-plastic material model you are using. Therefore if the strains are high enough you can get stresses around 700 MPa. That would require a very large temperature increase though and an overly constrained structure. What temperature increase are you applying? Check also that you are using an elastic-plastic material and not just elastic.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
The ultimate tensile strength of the material is not accounted for in the elastic-plastic material model you are using. Therefore if the strains are high enough you can get stresses around 700 MPa. That would require a very large temperature increase though and an overly constrained structure. What temperature increase are you applying? Check also that you are using an elastic-plastic material and not just elastic. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 mars 2013, 10:18 UTC−4

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.