Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal stress model with solid/liquid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I tried a simple 2d thermal stress model as attached. I have liquid trapped between two solids. I have declared both heat transfer in solid and heat transfer in fluids. Initially, I tried just heat transfer model to check temperature analysis. It works. However, when I try with thermal stress (ts) physics, it fails. I have ensured that all relevent material properties for thermal and solid mechanics are available.

I also tried sequenctial approach with heat transfer and then structural analysis (solid mechanics). But I could not figure out as how to assign thermal load in solid mechanics module.

I would appreciate if one can point me the error.

Regards,
Susant

2 Replies Last Post 1 déc. 2010, 16:17 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 déc. 2010, 16:09 UTC−5
Hi,

I tried heat transfer model and solid mechanics model in sequence. it works!

Just curious: Why thermal stress model does not work with fluid? Is there a way to defile fluid for thermal analysis only and exclude it for stress analysis?

Regards,
susant
Hi, I tried heat transfer model and solid mechanics model in sequence. it works! Just curious: Why thermal stress model does not work with fluid? Is there a way to defile fluid for thermal analysis only and exclude it for stress analysis? Regards, susant

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 déc. 2010, 16:17 UTC−5
Hi

have you checked on the main node of the TS if you have selected fluid or solid (Physics Model section), go carefully through all nodes and sub nodes, try systematically a right click on each node in the tree, you might discover subtrees you did not think of, particularly in the beginning when learning the new subtilities.

Another advice, get rapidly the new 4.1 its more stable

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked on the main node of the TS if you have selected fluid or solid (Physics Model section), go carefully through all nodes and sub nodes, try systematically a right click on each node in the tree, you might discover subtrees you did not think of, particularly in the beginning when learning the new subtilities. Another advice, get rapidly the new 4.1 its more stable -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.