Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

rectangular spiral coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I have modelled circular spiral coils placed at a distance in Z direction in 2-D and i calculated Mutual inductance by taking the help of MI and induced currents in a coil group application.Now i want to do for rectangular(or square) spiral coils.I have modelled circular spiral coils by taking 2-D axisymmetric and representing each turn by circle.I am not getting how to model rectangular(or square) spiral coils in 2-D.
I am new to comsol. i am thankful to someone who clarify my problem

6 Replies Last Post 17 oct. 2016, 10:49 UTC−4
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 6 oct. 2016, 11:24 UTC−4
Rectangular spiral coils cannot be modeled in 2D. This is a 3D problem.

DW Greve
Rectangular spiral coils cannot be modeled in 2D. This is a 3D problem. DW Greve

Posted: 8 years ago 7 oct. 2016, 00:49 UTC−4
Thank you sir for your valuable suggestion.
Still now i am thinking Rectangular spiral coils can be modelled in 2-D.Now i will try for 3-D.
Thank you sir for your valuable suggestion. Still now i am thinking Rectangular spiral coils can be modelled in 2-D.Now i will try for 3-D.

Posted: 8 years ago 9 oct. 2016, 14:31 UTC−4

by taking 2-D axisymmetric

I agree with the first reply. Seems like a 3D problem. About what axis of rotation do you think your square coil and associated fields are symmetric?

[QUOTE] by taking 2-D axisymmetric [/QUOTE] I agree with the first reply. Seems like a 3D problem. About what axis of rotation do you think your square coil and associated fields are symmetric?

Posted: 8 years ago 14 oct. 2016, 08:43 UTC−4
about Z axis coils are symmetric and placed at a distance apart
about Z axis coils are symmetric and placed at a distance apart

Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 14 oct. 2016, 15:20 UTC−4
Hi,

You might find the following Application Gallery collection of 3D Coils in COMSOL useful here.
www.comsol.com/model/3d-coil-types-in-comsol-multiphysics-42431

For a 2D surface coils in 3D geometry, the following example might be helpful.
www.comsol.com/model/modeling-a-spiral-inductor-coil-21271

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
Hi, You might find the following Application Gallery collection of 3D Coils in COMSOL useful here. https://www.comsol.com/model/3d-coil-types-in-comsol-multiphysics-42431 For a 2D surface coils in 3D geometry, the following example might be helpful. https://www.comsol.com/model/modeling-a-spiral-inductor-coil-21271 Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel

Posted: 8 years ago 17 oct. 2016, 10:49 UTC−4
Hi sir
thank you so much for your reply
Hi sir thank you so much for your reply

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.