Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid interaction failing to evaluate variable and expression

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model an obstacle in a fluid by using solid mechanics, moving mesh, and laminar flow. The obstacle is a simplified version of a trileaflet heart valve with the linear elastic material module and moving mesh module applied to it. The errors I am getting are
Failed to evaluate variable
-Variable: p
-Geometry:1
-boundary:12 18 23

Failed to evaluate expression
-expression: p
-plot surf1 (surface)

Where the boundaries 12,18, and 23 are the edges of the heart valve that touch each other. I have tried to match COMSOLs obstacle in fluid model as closely as possible.

3 Replies Last Post 30 janv. 2011, 04:29 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 janv. 2011, 03:02 UTC−5
Hi

you have one difficulty there with your model. It is the topology, when the valve opens you change the topology of your geoemtry, new boundaries appear and the domains are linked differently. This will not work as COMSOL have to renumber the entities.

You must start with your vavle just slightly open to allow a small flow through it, then it would probably work better

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have one difficulty there with your model. It is the topology, when the valve opens you change the topology of your geoemtry, new boundaries appear and the domains are linked differently. This will not work as COMSOL have to renumber the entities. You must start with your vavle just slightly open to allow a small flow through it, then it would probably work better -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 janv. 2011, 13:27 UTC−5
Hi Ivar,
Thank you for the reply. I have attempted to set the initial conditions of the valve slightly open by applying an initial velocity of 2 m/s. Unfortunately, I am still getting the same errors. Is there a better way to have set the valve initially open?
-Juantia T
Hi Ivar, Thank you for the reply. I have attempted to set the initial conditions of the valve slightly open by applying an initial velocity of 2 m/s. Unfortunately, I am still getting the same errors. Is there a better way to have set the valve initially open? -Juantia T

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 janv. 2011, 04:29 UTC−5
Hi

yes but your model has "continuity" between the valve border, these cannot "open" because this means a topology change that no geoemtrical FEM can handle, like that, not even COMSOL.

You must "cut open" a small rim in between the three valve borders, with the fluid, then find out how to handle the different cvolumes w.r.t the ALE to avoid fully mesh collaps, a delicate but possible operation

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi yes but your model has "continuity" between the valve border, these cannot "open" because this means a topology change that no geoemtrical FEM can handle, like that, not even COMSOL. You must "cut open" a small rim in between the three valve borders, with the fluid, then find out how to handle the different cvolumes w.r.t the ALE to avoid fully mesh collaps, a delicate but possible operation -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.