Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

When should we use weak form PDE?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

For PDE interface, three types of PDE are available: general form, coefficient form, and weak form. From what i read, COMSOL automatically convert all the equation into weak form before solving. How do we decide if general form PDE model or weak form PDE model is suitable for different case? What are the differences between the two model interface?

Thanks in advanced.

3 Replies Last Post 30 janv. 2011, 11:30 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 janv. 2011, 09:04 UTC−5
Hi

that is a loooong story, too long to be answered here on the forum. You can find answers (partial) in the different books proposed on the main web site (the one I prefer are the one of Edberg and Zimmermann), but there are also the excellent books of Francois Axisa and Antunes : Modelling of Mechanical Systems: Fluid-structure Interaction, he has also a good one about "Discrete Systems" and "Structural Elements" and still one in preparation (I hope so;)
Not to forget the v4.1 doc of COMSOL and their advanced courses

In anycase start simple, if your PDE looks like a coefficient one, or a general one, then select the closest, but if you really want to understand what is going, on test out the weak form
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that is a loooong story, too long to be answered here on the forum. You can find answers (partial) in the different books proposed on the main web site (the one I prefer are the one of Edberg and Zimmermann), but there are also the excellent books of Francois Axisa and Antunes : Modelling of Mechanical Systems: Fluid-structure Interaction, he has also a good one about "Discrete Systems" and "Structural Elements" and still one in preparation (I hope so;) Not to forget the v4.1 doc of COMSOL and their advanced courses In anycase start simple, if your PDE looks like a coefficient one, or a general one, then select the closest, but if you really want to understand what is going, on test out the weak form -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 janv. 2011, 10:16 UTC−5
Thanks for your prompt reply. Am I correct to say, that if i use the general form interface, COMSOL will automatically try to reformulate the equation into the weak form? And when weak form interface is used instead, we are converting the equation into weak form manually, in which we would have more control over the formulation?
Thanks for your prompt reply. Am I correct to say, that if i use the general form interface, COMSOL will automatically try to reformulate the equation into the weak form? And when weak form interface is used instead, we are converting the equation into weak form manually, in which we would have more control over the formulation?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 janv. 2011, 11:30 UTC−5
Hi

Yes that is also my understanding

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Yes that is also my understanding -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.