Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Insulation Boundary Condition for Parallel Plate Capacitor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to add an insulated boundary condition to this Parallel Plate Capacitor. I created a working model within the ES module but this module does not allow me to create an electrically insulated boundary condition. Therefore, I switched to the EC module but have not been able to obtain a result. Any advice on updating the EC module (EC_module.mph) to have an insulated boundary condition or creating an insulated boundary condition in the ES module (fringing_PPC.mph) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

2 Replies Last Post 4 avr. 2011, 19:36 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 avr. 2011, 10:32 UTC−4
Hi Patrick,

couldn't you use dielectric shielding?

Regards
Edgar
Hi Patrick, couldn't you use dielectric shielding? Regards Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 avr. 2011, 19:36 UTC−4
Edgar,

While Dielectric Shielding does produce the desired effect, it causes the analytical charge to stray from the calculated theoretical value, except at the smallest values of dielectric thickness which cause the boundary to act essentially as a zero charge boundary.

In 3.5 I am able to use the emqvw module to use electric insulation as intended (and the analytical value I obtain is the same as the theoretical value that I calculate if I remove the fringing field from my models). Is this same effect achievable within 4.1?

Thank you,

Patrick
Edgar, While Dielectric Shielding does produce the desired effect, it causes the analytical charge to stray from the calculated theoretical value, except at the smallest values of dielectric thickness which cause the boundary to act essentially as a zero charge boundary. In 3.5 I am able to use the emqvw module to use electric insulation as intended (and the analytical value I obtain is the same as the theoretical value that I calculate if I remove the fringing field from my models). Is this same effect achievable within 4.1? Thank you, Patrick

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.