Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"Failed to analyze local face topology" when meshing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to mesh a 3D domain but no matter what meshing settings I choose I am getting the following error:

Failed to analyze local face topology. - Face: 12 Invalid curve or surface.

In the file, the face in question is the "inner" curved face of the spiral coil, and I suspect the problem is somehow caused by the way I've attached a "lead" onto the end of the spiral by making a rectangle, unioning them and allowing COMSOL to repair the gap, but I'm not sure how else to approach it.

No other domains have yet been meshed, and a search on this forum for the error message did not reveal anything. I've attached the mph file in case anyone can help me out!

1 Reply Last Post 20 juil. 2018, 12:47 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 20 juil. 2018, 12:47 UTC−4

Well this problem appears to be resolved. I don't know specifically what fixed it but I made some minor changes to the geometry, eliminating places where there are small edges and such, and now everything seems to mesh fine. For posterity, here is the corrected .mph

Well this problem appears to be resolved. I don't know specifically what fixed it but I made some minor changes to the geometry, eliminating places where there are small edges and such, and now everything seems to mesh fine. For posterity, here is the corrected .mph

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.