Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Transient EM model of photonic waveguide

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I am attempting to do a transient analysis of propagation through a simple straight waveguide at optical frequencies (in 2D). Ultimately, I'd like to have numerical ports at the input and output plane, but I'd be satisfied with just using scattering BCs on these planes, with an analytical approximation to the proper mode at the input plane.

While COMSOL does not give me any errors, the result is clearly unstable (as the field values run off to unphysically large values). Furthermore, there are large field values everywhere in the domain after the first time step, which is clearly unphysical. COMSOL technical support acknowledges that there are problems with this type of simulation, but they are vague on what the problems are.

I've read many threads here that discuss issues of tolerance vs relative error, but there are so many different types of tolerance in transient analysis that I'm not sure which one(s) to play with.

If anyone out there can upload a successful (post-v3.5) transient simulation of a straight waveguide (or any other photonic or plasmonic structure, for that matter), I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
Brian

0 Replies Last Post 13 juin 2011, 15:58 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Brian West

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.